raspberry supports

• 25 Replies

titch

raspberry supports
« on: March 08, 2009, 16:48 »
how thick do they need to be - i know they need to be sturdy, but how round/thick?
they are to go on my plot whcih as i found out today is pretty windy
also how tall? 4, 5, 6ft??
these are to attach the wires to
thanks
just keep breathing................

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
Re: raspberry supports
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 16:53 »
We're just about to put some in ... our raspberries grew to about 8ft tall last year, but I think the idea is that you loop the tops over all in one direction and tie them in. DH says off the top of his head he's planning posts of 2" square and 8' tall, with 2' of that sunk into the ground.

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 16:55 »
HI TITCH,my supports are made of 30x30 shs(steel),8 foot long,2 foot of which is in the ground with 6 foot above,steel wires set at 2,4 and 6 foot,with tensioners.My variety is GLEN AMPLE,5 years old and now reaching 6 foot.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 17:01 »
I would go thicker ie  3-4in diameter round posts - not that expensive from a timber yard/fencing supplies kind of place.  Treated timber would last longer.

they would need to be 2ft  in the ground and may even need diagonal supports to strengthen them depending on how far apart the posts are.

It may seem a chore but when well set up you will enjoy the benefit for years - raspberries must give one of the best returns when inputs are balanced with outputs
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

titch

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 17:03 »
the posts will be around 3 metres apart, so shall i go 2x2 or bigger?

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 17:08 »
I'd still go bigger with round posts as used in fencing - stronger than square.

beansticks

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 17:35 »
If you can ,get steel,try a local engineering shop,they will last forever,and is a thousand times stronger than timber.

titch

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 17:45 »
Thanks for the help, hoping to get something sorted this week, all depends on the pennies  :(

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 18:29 »
i just use bamboo sticks.  i've got 4 on the corners of a square and horizontal ones about halfway up.  all tied together with wool: then the canes are tied (loosely) to the horizontal ones.  It's worked quite well for about 5 years.
they're the long ones - 8ft tall.

this is the only picture i can find that demonstrates it...
canes.jpg
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 18:38 by andreadon »

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 18:59 »
If you can ,get steel,try a local engineering shop,they will last forever,and is a thousand times stronger than timber.

There only Rasberries i reckon some of  the chestnut we coppiced this winter would hold up to Rasberries. I would think a post 2inch diameter would hold more than enough. Im more than happy to be shot down in flames on this one as a dint know much about growing veg at all. 
Thanks
Kris

titch

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 20:15 »
liking the bamboo cane structure, that would suit my pocket too - lots to think about but will ge tthem in this week, by hook or crook, got lots of digging and paths to do nxt weekend (providing the weather has stopped coming in sideways and making everything twice as tricky  ::))

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 21:27 »
I am not suggesting that you buy but look at the pictures of the supports that Harrods sell in this link. They are very simple. I like the idea of the piece of wood along the top which will stop the posts leaning inwards. The one on the right is single double row. On the left single row.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/search/product/Fruit+and+Vegetable+Cages%5FFruit+and+Vegetable+cage+accessories/GDN-268.htm
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 21:37 by Salmo »

titch

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 22:24 »
Thats interesting salmo, who knew supporting raspberries would be so varied  :mellow:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 23:13 »
Do raspberries really need that much support then?????  I've never grown them before, but have some that poultrygeist gave me.  I was just going to support them with canes and string!

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 00:19 »
I am not suggesting that you buy but look at the pictures of the supports that Harrods sell in this link. They are very simple. I like the idea of the piece of wood along the top which will stop the posts leaning inwards. The one on the right is single double row. On the left single row.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/search/product/Fruit+and+Vegetable+Cages%5FFruit+and+Vegetable+cage+accessories/GDN-268.htm

A good idea but wa-rther posh and awfully dear! If my raspberries ever make it to staking height I'm going to rummage in the timber pile and go for a Harrods style stupport. Thanks
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
pea supports

Started by mike86 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 09:04
by madcat
xx
Pea Supports?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2019, 12:03
by Aidy
xx
Pea Supports

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 20:24
by garddwr
xx
Pea Supports

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2024, 16:44
by Snow

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 40 queries.