Interesting question

• 5 Replies

wighty

Interesting question
« on: March 07, 2009, 21:11 »
We are selling twelve broad bean plants in a 7 inch pot at £2.50. Good uptake so far but was asked today whether you could grow them in a trough on a patio as that is all they have.  I had to admit I had no idea and said I would ask you lot what were your thoughts.  They are coming back on Monday to hear your answers.

Trillium

Re: Interesting question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 21:40 »
Depends on what they mean by trough. The plants can get quite tall and if there isn't enough soil for roots, then they risk the plants simply falling out of the soil in high wind. I found that I actually had to 'fence' mine in to keep them off other plants as they'd grown very tall and heavy with beans. I might have been a bit heavy handed with the chicken poo but the plants sure loved it and cropped endlessly.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 21:48 »
I tried in a trough last yr & only got a couple of decent beans compared to growing in the ground, (mine was a border). As Trilium said roots need enough decent soil so maybe a tub or container of some decent depth, could be the answer, just a thought  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 21:58 »
Most things will grow in containers provided you can provide the right soil conditions to support them, usually you would expect to need higher nutrient levels in a restricted root run to allow for maximum potential. So yes if the troughs big enough with good enough soil then yes go for it sell them a big trough too  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:53 »
I reckon a half barrel would be ok for two or three plants at a pinch. It'd need quite a bit of fertilizer though.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:01 »
Thankyou for your answers.  As they have never grown anything before I think I will tell them no as they will not have any experience regarding feeding etc. The troughs we sell are only about 8 inches deep and although I will now probably lose out on a sale would rather do that than sell something to get a sale and then it all go belly up and get the blame. That's the reason we never recommend decorators or handymen when customers ask us because if it goes wrong they remember who recommended them not the person who did the job.

xx
Interesting.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 15:37
by Kajazy
xx
Quite interesting Tomatoes

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 19:44
by tode
xx
Interesting Peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 22:09
by sclarke624
xx
Interesting programme Radio 4

Started by Fenland Girl on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 25, 2007, 14:44
by gobs

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 36 queries.