chicken litter and green wheelie bins....

• 19 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: chicken litter and green wheelie bins....
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 21:14 »
I know!  Makes you wonder how these townies get jobs like this ???  It all brakes down to make great compost.  Or am I the mad one?????
mrs.ploppy

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 07:35 »
lol...mental isnt it... i could even seperate the hay/straw from the woodflake, or the majority of it at least... gawd...with rabbits and chooks thats an awful lot of litter....lol... black bin it is!! mental

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 20:20 »
I would just chuck a bit in the garden bin and if they take it without fuss do the same next time.  Put garden stuff on top.  I think at the end of the day the bin men don't really care too much as long as it looks like stuff out the garden.  I put in the newspaper that lined the bottom of the cages too.  All compostable and it all gets mulched up and turned with other stuff.  As long as biodegradeable should be ok!

Stree

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 21:57 »
poultry manure is more potent than horse or cow  muck and any keen gardener or allotment holder will gladly collect it. Not so much with the wood shavings, but with straw definitely.

try and use straw as bedding for the birds, it breaks down easily and makes good compost, unlike the nitrogen robbing wood shavings, as pointed out earlier by ( Was it Suzie? )

Another garden thing to do with chicken poo is to put it in a bag, a good shovel full or two, a hessian sack is best, a carrier bag is almost equally as good though, suspend it in a water butt, leave it a week and from then on, you have an amazing plant feed and tonic that is easily used and topped up

I use all my poultry waste  topping up a compost heap, apart from a bag or two for the water barrel.
That way I get greens growing, the chickens eat the greens we don`t need and its a cheap way to everyone getting fresh natural food.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 16:05 »
will have to try the water butt thing... problem is my daughter sticks her hands in to play in the water, and I have caught her once or twice having a crafty drink.... :blink: :blink: lol

xx
Chicken sea of green?

Started by coop-de-tat on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 08:22
by nerdle
xx
Green Watery Chicken Poo

Started by Geraldine on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 13:31
by Snoop
xx
Worried about green chicken manure

Started by hensjs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 13:58
by hensjs
xx
Massive green egg! Ostrich or chicken?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 07:08
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 28 queries.