anyone got seed potatoes in?

• 56 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: anyone got seed potatos in?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 17:33 »
I think that in times past, Good Friday was just the first holiday (read day off) in spring that working people had, so men would actually have time for planting the spuds.

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 17:59 »
Second week in April early enough for me.

Maris Peer
Rooster and Rocket

The lttle beuties are quite happy chitting away in the spare bedroom at the moment.  :)

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 20:48 »
2 weeks time if wether alows 8)

Paul Plots

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 23:56 »
Brilliant...thanks for all the advice to my question about "when".

I hate to sit around waiting too long and felt that Easter was a bit late this year. I get a kick out of seeing my plot well under-way (as I'm sure everyone does) and didn't want to be last on the site with tatties underway. (Not that we're in competition but...)

I am going to go for two weeks from now..... with confidence.

Many thanks :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 08:19 »
Learner, I have had my first earlies in for ten days, but with the old plastic sheeting ready in case the pop their heads up before the end of the frosts. The other should be in this week, time permitting. I have to do this small thing called work during most of ther day (paid employment type work I mean  :tongue2:) so can only really use mid day break to do stuff with the kids.
Put in some onion sets yesterday - took six kids 40 minutes to prepare a 1m by 2m bed and plant 22 sets and 12 shallots, mand the were big kids. beginnign to wonder hos long it will take to get the others in with much smaller kids to work with  ::) ::) ::)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 19:05 »
Learner, I have had my first earlies in for ten days, but with the old plastic sheeting ready in case the pop their heads up before the end of the frosts. The other should be in this week, time permitting. I have to do this small thing called work during most of ther day (paid employment type work I mean  :tongue2:) so can only really use mid day break to do stuff with the kids.
Put in some onion sets yesterday - took six kids 40 minutes to prepare a 1m by 2m bed and plant 22 sets and 12 shallots, mand the were big kids. beginnign to wonder hos long it will take to get the others in with much smaller kids to work with  ::) ::) ::)

Work is a b*gg** isn't it! ::) I had Sunday off this week - next week I should get Saturday too if all goes well as there's no Family Learning course next week-end. By the time I get home it's dark and marking, planning and prep takes up the rest of the evening....with a bit of time out for searching through this site (my recreation).

Week-ends only for the lottie once the chores, shopping and work for Monday is sorted.....Then "plant the spuds time. :) :)

Here's hoping we all have a good crop! Do you do anything special with yours to help them give their best?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 19:18 »
I have planted into brilliant stuff I bought from dandy's soil -- very rich but not too much manure I hope. Dug down into the old turf underneath the raised beds, so should have plenty of earthing up depth. Loads of worms in it so am well pleased so far. Kids were thrilled at gettting something in the ground.

Must take some photos as their work must be recognised!!! ;)

They also planted two rows of raspberries and some gooseberries today,and oh yes a tayberry and a black berry -- their optimism is great to see--planning to make blackberry jam and raspberry pies they reckon  :wub:

Paul Plots

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 19:23 »
I have planted into brilliant stuff I bought from dandy's soil -- very rich but not too much manure I hope. Dug down into the old turf underneath the raised beds, so should have plenty of earthing up depth. Loads of worms in it so am well pleased so far. Kids were thrilled at gettting something in the ground.

Must take some photos as their work must be recognised!!! ;)

They also planted two rows of raspberries and some gooseberries today,and oh yes a tayberry and a black berry -- their optimism is great to see--planning to make blackberry jam and raspberry pies they reckon  :wub:

Gardening with children is great..... they learn so much (patience and persistence for starters). We have a gardening club and the numbers are growing steadily. It's an after-school club as lunch time is just far too short :(.

It would be nice to see what your growers achieve - good for the kids to look back on too!. ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 19:26 »
So far they have achieved two neat little trenches with spuds planted in the bottom and a  double row of sticks --- be good to look back on in a few weeks time   8) I'll try to temember the camera tomorrow.

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 00:54 »
So far they have achieved two neat little trenches with spuds planted in the bottom and a  double row of sticks --- be good to look back on in a few weeks time   8) I'll try to temember the camera tomorrow.

Do the kids keep a plot diary? It's really useful for what to do next year when everyone has forgotten what worked when.... they could add the pictures to it too. Just a thought as if you haven't enough to do already! ;)

FRUITFULL

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2009, 08:30 »
Good friday was in March last year and thats when mine went in.They are going in this Saturday along with a mass first wave of seed sowing.Will be taking over every window sill in the house  :D

MoreWhisky

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 08:38 »
Im still waiting to put mine in , sigh its hard i wanna go do it now!

Just a qiuck spud question while im here, i've only got limitied amount of compost ready would it be waisted in my potatoe bed? as im thinking of going putting it on today  :unsure:
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 19:10 »

Do the kids keep a plot diary? It's really useful for what to do next year when everyone has forgotten what worked when.... they could add the pictures to it too. Just a thought as if you haven't enough to do already! ;)
[/quote]

So far they have a few photos of a field and one raised bed, some snowy views but not much else --- you are right Learner, it would be good to look back on so I guess I shall have to add this to the ever expanding list of things we do!!! Oh yes, the dates of when things went in ( a very short list at the moment of course)  :happy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 20:32 »

So far they have a few photos of a field and one raised bed, some snowy views but not much else --- you are right Learner, it would be good to look back on so I guess I shall have to add this to the ever expanding list of things we do!!! Oh yes, the dates of when things went in ( a very short list at the moment of course)  :happy:
[/quote]

Our club use wet days to sit in front to the PC and up-date their diary, research for info on plants / planting and make the best of a wet Gardening Club session. We've no spuds in yet though! ???

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 19:05 »
Hmm, could do that I suppose - currently the excitement of the shed keeps eight at a time occupied when it is raining!

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
The seed potatoes are here!

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 19:14
by Middlesexbloke
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 13:37
by DD.
xx
seed potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 17, 2022, 09:48
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.623 seconds with 39 queries.