Allotment Snatch Back!

• 19 Replies

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Allotment Snatch Back!
« on: March 06, 2009, 19:23 »
www.cambstimes.co.uk/content/cambstimes/news/story.aspx?brand=CATOnline&category=NewsCambs&tBrand... - 46k

Just seen on the news tonight,a piece about allotment holders having their plots reduced by half to accomodate others on the waiting list. There is a thread on here somewhere about 'should people be allowed a second plot' Its happening! :ohmy:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 19:25 by Steve.P »
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Allotment Snatch Back!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 19:28 »
I saw that too and it's disgusting.  A lot of these people will play at allotmenteering for a short time and then give up when it is no longer trendy.  Meanwhile people that have had their plots for years will be forced off. >:(
Cheese makes everything better.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 19:31 »
Exactly Ice,

Think if i heard it right they have a year before they have to give half away. Nothing lkie doing all the hard work for someone to destroy in a matter of months :mad:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 19:34 »
Also, can you imagine how traumatised some people might be over this.  Plots are a haven and therapy for some people.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 19:56 »
To my mind it's like saying a strange family can come and live in your back garden.

penance

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 20:00 »
That is awful!
Fair enough to split vacant plots for new comers i suppose, but to take away from those already using is a poor show!

Yet another reason added to the list of reasons that I grow in the back garden. I know i am lucky to be able to do that and many growers with smaller gardens need the lotty space.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 20:03 »
 :( can't see the article, but it's disgusting what I've read from your posts  :mad: Give me notice of a year they'd be an awful lot of JA's planted & under planted with mint and horse radish  :mad:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Bombers

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 20:06 »
:( can't see the article, but it's disgusting what I've read from your posts  :mad: Give me notice of a year they'd be an awful lot of JA's planted & under planted with mint and horse radish  :mad:
Savage!  ::) I'd  never thought of doing that....... :blink: Can it be legal, thinking of tenancy agreement and all?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 20:07 by Bombers »
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

wafflycat

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 20:06 »
I caught it on the local news. It's bad. Thing is - there was a load of land at the side (looked as if it was within the general site boundaires too) which, according to the information stated in the news article would provide allotments for most on the waiting list without the existing allotment holders giving up their current holdings... I just wonder if there's some 'real reason'  as regards the stance of the local authority

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 20:08 »
Yes sorry Rich. I put a link on here but it takes you to a blank page. If you click on the link then click the heading News&Views, then scroll down to the story.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 20:10 »
I caught it on the local news. It's bad. Thing is - there was a load of land at the side (looked as if it was within the general site boundaires too) which, according to the information stated in the news article would provide allotments for most on the waiting list without the existing allotment holders giving up their current holdings... I just wonder if there's some 'real reason'  as regards the stance of the local authority

Ahh a bit of "development land aka brown field site, disused blah de blah"  worth a million then, we know what councils are like  :mad:

Will Do Steve  ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 20:26 »
Absolutely disgusting.  And the end line?..."contact us and we will see what we can do" !!! Sweet FA as they arent doing anything for them now.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

goose

• Experienced Member

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 21:12 »
it works goose,ta

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 21:21 »
That's better Goose, thanks for that :D. I bow to your superior link knowledge 8)

xx
Starting back at a new allotment . . .

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 14:58
by Smudgeboy
xx
hooray, back on the allotment at last!

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 23, 2010, 10:10
by fatbelly
xx
new allotment back breaking work

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 07:20
by foxydan
xx
Back at last

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 08:11
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 1.008 seconds with 37 queries.