Help please - Margo taken by fox

• 20 Replies

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Help please - Margo taken by fox
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:42 »
We are absolutely devastated that one of my hens was taken by a fox last night.  We let them free range in the garden of an evening and we have got lazy doing the beak count at lock down.  We didn’t notice that Margo wasn’t in bed.  She must have roosted by the shed and all we have left is feathers and her leg ring.  We feel so guilty as we feel we let her down by not checking.  She was a dear little thing who had so much character.

We hope to god that she wasn’t too scared and that he took her quickly.  She was the leader of the pack so I think she may have stood between the fox and the others as she has done this before but our cat got between them and protected the girls.  The others are clearly shaken up as they are being very noisy.

We live in London and the fox was on top of the run today trying to get in.  It was bright sunshine so we’re really worried he’ll come back for the others during the day.

Until now I haven’t understood the hatred people have of foxes.  Now I just want this thing dead.  Can anyone advise me on how I can protect the other hens and if I could kill the fox?  Please don’t think bad of me asking that, I just don’t want my others being ripped to pieces by this fox.  I hate it.  It's got a huge stomach and fluffy tail so it's not like it's a manky London fox who needs my hens for supper. 

All help is appreciated. xxx
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

poultrygeist

Re: Help please - Margo taken by fox
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22 »
Hi Blarney.

Very sorry to hear the news. It's obviously devastating but don't blame yourself.

Firstly, I don't think you could kill without shooting it. This would need to be done by an experienced person. Secondly, if you did, another would soon take its place.
The most effective thing you can do is to keep it out. If you can afford an electric fence, this seems to be the best method. There is also foxwatch, an electronic sonic deterrant that seems to work.
If you have a run for them, you can beef it up with welded mesh. Chicken wire will not keep out a fox.

Keep talking. You'll get a range of advice on here which reflects the problem. Each situation needs a unique solution. Please don't beat yourself up.

Rob

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:49 »
Thank you Rob.  I just feel so guilty as our torch broke which meant we couldn't see in to do a beak count of an evening.  We work stupid hours and put the garden security light on of an evening so they can have a run around for a few hours.  They don't go in until midnight when we go to bed.  I am really going to miss her.

Thanks for the advice.  I won't kill the fox (although I'd love to!).  I have heard men weeing round the garden helps but I guess it's a bit like when someone wants to break into a house they will regardless of the alarms and locks.  I would be concerned at an electric fence as in london people get done for protecting their houses from the kids (carpet grip inside of fence) also I don't want a frazzled cat!!!

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:56 »
so sorry about your girl, is there anyway you can keep them in till you've made things fox proof? now he's had one he will come back, and he'll become braver, i think Rob's right about the electric fencing, and i think once he's had a shock he may well leave well alone, don't blame yourself, it's not your fault she got taken, it's happened to a lot of us at one time or another, i know how devastated and guilty you feel, it happened to me too.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 12:50 »
You'll have no problem using a leccy fence. If your cat touches it, it won't do any harm apparently, just being thwacked by another cat I should think. Just enough to remain in memory. :unsure:

If you can post photos, some of the leccy fence users might be able to advise how best to go about it, or we could suggest ways of minimising the risk.

Rob 8)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 13:28 »
I'm really sorry to hear that, too.
Yours happened exactly the same as when Monica was got - we left them out too late in the evening without supervision.  Monica was the boos, so I could imagine her also doing the protection thing you described.  the pecking order will sort itself out in time.
i thought i wanted the fox dead, too, but the gamekeepers on our farm came with guns to hunt it down and i listened to it from the garage and it made me cry thinking about how they were just going to shoot it.  the fox was, after all, only doing what it was born to do.

i can only echo what everyone else has said, weldmesh by the ton - and put it under the run too, so it can't dig under. Make sure you securely fasten the run every night too.
and make sure that you can always see your girls when they're free-ranging.

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 20:13 »
Lost my top girl to a fox as I had missed a weak spot in my fencing !!   I have  7ft weldmesh fence all around and the damn fox found the a poorly joined corner section, pulled a hole into it and took the bird without a sound .   

It happens to us all .    No more problems even though the paw prints around the Run let me know he is coming back to try again.

regards    Alby
wish I was a cat

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:19 »
Well it's day two without Margo and we woke up feeling just as guilty as we did when we went to bed.  The other girls are no longer shouting but they are walking around as three individual hens rather than one group.  Margo was such a strong leader that they actually look a little lost.  The cats are sitting outside as they can now that she isn't there to peck them.

My husband is building a much bigger run so we don't have to let them out when we come home late from work.  I'm afraid they will only be able to free range in the garden when we are here during the day.  I don't want them to suffer and have a cramped up life just because of the fox.

We're borrowing a paintball gun from a friend.  Apparently if you put the pellets in the freezer they really hurt.  As an ex squaddie my husband's aim is great so I hope we can hurt it enough that it doesn't come back but not mame the thing.  That said I did google 'can you eat fox' last night and the answer was yes!

wafflycat

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:02 »

My husband is building a much bigger run so we don't have to let them out when we come home late from work.  I'm afraid they will only be able to free range in the garden when we are here during the day.  I don't want them to suffer and have a cramped up life just because of the fox.

Condolences on your loss of Margo.

What you are planning to do is what I do with my two. They are only allowed to free-range when husband or self is out in the garden. The rest of the time, they're in a locked run. In my case, it's not so much foxes (although they must be about) it's mink. There's a stream at the end of my garden and we have had mink in there. I have mink traps set, but having had a family of the blighters swim inches away from my feet.. The run area I have at the moment has the floor and a short area extending beyond the run completely covered in weld-mesh. Everything is locked at night and there are occasional splashes of strategically placed male human pee... to act as a deterrent. It's just a case of being vigilant, checking housing & fencing for weak spots, repairing/strengthening as necessary. The other thing I've seen in the garden is a stoat... one of my cats was wrestling with it.. so I'm somewhat paranoid about predators! When I extend the run area, I'll be rethinking the security measures to take into account the increased area.

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05 »
Believe me, the painballs hurt plenty without putting them in the freezer !!  :ohmy:

Please be careful. I know compassion for the fox is probably a bit stretched but it's possible you could break a bone or do real damage to it. I would have thought a close shot would be enough to scare it off for a while but whatever you do, you'll not get rid of it or its friends. I think a permanent barrier (physical or leccy fence) would be a better long term solution. :)

Rob 8)

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:33 »
Hubby is currently building a huge extention to the run so they'll have more than double to space they currently have.  He's building it out of galvernised welded wire mesh, timber and a million staples from the staple gun. 

We live in an end of terrace house and our garden isn't that big so I'm not sure about electric fencing.  i do think that the girls will be ok when they are inside the run and coup as we are checking every angle.  They are locked in their coup of an evening so they are very safe. 

As far as the fox is concerned, I know it's cruel to send it on it's way with a broken bone so we'll just try to scare it away.  In the six years we've lived here it's the only one to ever come int he back garden, but we are not going to be silly over it, we know others will come if they realise McDonalds is in our back yard.  I'm just still very angry at it. 

Thanks for all the advice, it's really great knowing that others are there to sympathise and to offer advice. xxxx

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:02 »
Sounds like you are in a similar situation to Kate (and her ducks). She lost a couple of ducks a while ago and had to try to find a solution.

It must be heartbreaking. Well done for your outlook on it all.

Rob 8)

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 12:37 »
Thanks Rob.  I appreciate your support. x

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 12:52 »
Have you seen the fox-proofig thread by Foxy btw ?

http://87.117.239.129/~lotty/chat/index.php?topic=25998.0

It's got some useful info and insights that may help.

Good luck and keep us informed with progress.  :)

Rob

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:34 »
Hi Blarney, so so sorry about your loss! :( I think when you keep hens we become a little complacent. As we know there chracters and how they react to different situations. Four weeks ago we brought a new hen who was beautiful as soon as she climbed out of the box i knew she was going to be lovely, and i named her Florence. She had only been in the run for a couple of hours and a fox came to visit as the girls were being very vocal at a newcomer and the soft mare instead of following the other girls to safety, she stuck her head out of the mesh and the swine took it! It was absoulutly heart breaking and i just like you was riddled with guilt for not protecting her.
But like other members have said he will be back night after night after night. We have two * that come every single tea time now, there not even bothered that at four oclock it is still light. >:( We like you cannot leave ours out in the day, and certainly not now. So we too let them out when we get home for a couple of hours but now we watch them like a hawk.
Time is the greatest healer and you will feel better soon and your girls will bounce back. As i told my nine year old son 'she has gone to hen heaven' :)

Take care
HENrietta. :)
Live, Love and Laugh!

xx
margo's gone broody

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 19:29
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 37 queries.