Allotment wars Episode 3: Return of the thief

• 8 Replies

lightyears

Allotment wars Episode 3: Return of the thief
« on: March 04, 2009, 23:54 »
Well its that time of year again, the time of year when the chav youngsters come out to play, got to the allotment today to find my shed locks broken,handtools nicked and my polystyrene broken up like snow. Yet again the police didnt want to know, but this time the council did. Had CSI and freinds fingertip searching my plot this time and as of this evening someone has been arrested.
its mighty disheartning though. Fix shed, broken,fix shed broken, etc
 >:(

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Allotment wars Episode 3: Return of the thief
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40 »
little b****rs!  we dont have sheds on our plots for that reason, so instead they pinch the crops.

wafflycat

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:37 »
Glad you got police to do something *eventually* I wonder if the recent article in the EDP on allotment security has made them think 'perhaps we will do something after all' as a bit of bad publicity about their failure to take theft & damage seriously would not be good.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:13 »
little b****rs!  we dont have sheds on our plots for that reason, so instead they pinch the crops.

Wow - you mean they actually know what a vegetable is???? - amazing - I thought they all lived on turkey twizzlers & chip butties  :D
Sorry about your shed btw  :(

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 13:02 »
We had our shed broken it on the first night of the school holidays last year.  Coincidence?  I don't believe in 'em!

A thief will always break into a locked shed.  We had all the other sheds done on the same night.  So now I don't lock my shed.  I have a house brick that keeps the door closed.  I have encouraged others to do the same.

I don't keep anything in the shed except netting, fleece, plastic pots and bottles, feeds and my old kettle.  Everything that’s big and bulky or isn’t worth risking getting caught for.

This is a real pain as my shed is huge and I could just wander down to the site on my bike at weekends but instead I have to bring my tools and my gas stove etc with me. 

I don't do flasks.  If I can carry a flask I can carry a gas stove some water and some teabags!  ;)

I can't expect the police to protect our site as it is a low priority for them.  We don't even keep a log of break ins and damages to personal property which we should do as the police some times take a week before they turn up.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 14:23 »

Wow - you mean they actually know what a vegetable is???? - amazing - I thought they all lived on turkey twizzlers & chip butties  :D
Sorry about your shed btw  :(

I wouldn't of thought they actually eat them, they just do it because they can

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 18:55 »
[quote)

I don't do flasks.  If I can carry a flask I can carry a gas stove some water and some teabags!  ;)

I
[/quote]

I do flasks - three in the last six months!  (Whose daft idea was it to make them out of glass?) :nowink:

scott40k

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 13:25 »
yep this is an ongoing problem with ours too. Nobody locks anything up as it just encourages them  ::) we had one of our fold up chairs nicked last year and they tipped the water butt over  >:(

I like the fact we have a sign on the gate saying 'allotments act 1922, anyone found causing damage will be fined £20'. yep that's a real deterant  ::)

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:00 »

The little darlings actually tipped my shed on it's side to gain access through the floor!
but, as I'd only just made a new floor for it, and bolted it all together, the floor went up with the shed. ;)
On the second occasion, they did the more traditional busting the shed door to get inside.
I don't bother locking the shed anymore either. I go up the allotment to grow food, not for carpentry!! ::)

xx
red cabbage thief

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 07:52
by Brassica Blaz
xx
The tomato thief

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:42
by Jim T
xx
Strawberry thief

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 06:41
by skatenchips
xx
Strawberry thief

Started by suef63 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 16:58
by suef63

Page created in 0.714 seconds with 36 queries.