What to do next?

• 4 Replies

chilli-pot

What to do next?
« on: March 03, 2009, 23:39 »
This is my first year with an allotment (and first year of growing anything....) So far:

I have two raised beds,one of which I have added well rotted manure to (about 3 weeks ago) and one which has just been dug over.

I have 6 garlic cloves in 4 inch pots which have sprouted and are about 4 inch high. When can they be transplanted and into which bed??

I have 3 varieties of tomato growing in 4 inch pots on my windowsill which are now about 4 inch tall, together with 2 pots of chillies which have germinated but are still only about 2 inch tall.

I have onion sets, but which raised bed do I plant them in?

My broad beans are planted inside toilet rolls and are about 3 inches tall. What bed do they go in, and when?

I have potatoes which are chitting and have started to sprout. When do I need to put them into their growbags?

I know these must sound like basic questions but it is a steep learning curve for me and I want to make the most of my first year which is why I am planting small amounts of lots of vegetables to see what I can have success with. I am also planting fruit bushes this weekend ( blueberry, gooseberry, blackcurrant, raspberry etc)

Any advice/tips gratefully received  :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42 »
Hi chilli-pot
I can answer some of your questions:
garlic - I planted mine straight in the ground last November and they have just come up, so I guess it's about the right time for planting outside. Put them in the same bed with your onion sets, and these can be planted during March but I would hold off until late March as the soil is still quite cold.
Keep the tomatoes and chillies indoors, and replant in their full size pots when they are about 6-7" high but others may have some more accurate advice on this
I'm pretty sure broad beans can be planted out now - in a separate bed from your onions and garlic - I would use the manured one.
If you are growing your potatoes in bags, and you can protect from frost, you can plant earlies any time now, maincrops I would wait until early April.
Fruit bushes should be fine, all quite hardy.
For all the above, I would just wait until the current cold snap is over..
Hope this is of some help, good luck.
Rachael

GreenOwl

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 15:12 »
Plant the garlic out ASAP.  It benefits from a cold spell.  Some experts say that without a cold spell the clove won't split and will just form one big clove instead of a bulb of cloves.

The onions and garlic are both alliums so should go in the same bed. 

The broad beans can probably go out soon, they're are quite hardy, I would be tempted to wait a week or two and harden them off as well.  Garlic doesn't need to be hardened off.  (Hardening off, btw, is accustoming them to outside before planting off - can be quite a shock to go from inside to outside.) 

Early potatoes usually go out in late March/early April, with maincrops 2 weeks later.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 16:15 »

I have potatoes which are chitting and have started to sprout. When do I need to put them into their growbags?

Any advice/tips gratefully received  :)

Growbags? do you mean large sacks that you are going to be able to add soil to as they grow rather than a growbag you would say grow tomatoes in?
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

chilli-pot

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 16:34 »
Senrab nohj,

yes that's what  meant (LOL) I did say that it was my first year growing things........ :D

Page created in 0.563 seconds with 36 queries.