Help starting a Howard Rotovator please!

• 23 Replies

aubergine

Help starting a Howard Rotovator please!
« on: March 03, 2009, 19:43 »
Hi I have inherited a vintage Howard Bantum with what looks like the original Villiers engine.  Apparently it was in full working order last Autumn and has the caked mud on the tines to prove it.

I am a complete novice here and have no idea how to start the engine.  I understand about pulling the crank handle but not sure what else I should do to get it going.  I have tried several times - its seems to make the right noices but does not seem to ignite.?????

I have  pushed a button which I assume primes the engine and even made sure the spark plug was dry (took it off and put in on the radiator over night).  I am not sure what to do with the choke or the accelerator (I have tried many positions).

Any advice on what I should do or where I could go for advice or manual.  It would be really appreciated.
Kind Regards Aubergine
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:06 by noshed »

Bigbadfrankie

Re: Help starting a Howard Rotavator please!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 19:52 »
Put some fresh petrol in. On the carb will be a little lever for the choke. Then pull and it should go. Make sure to push the lever on the handle bar to make the drive belts slack.

always have a target
and an objective.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:15 »
Hello Aubergine,
we have some of the user manuals online . You'll find the Howard bantam here: http://www.allotment-garden.org/assets/rotovator/howard-bantam-rotavator-manual.pdf

Sorry about the huge link, but it should work......
feel free to print off a copy! :)

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:31 »
If its been standing since last autumn, get rid of the old petrol and replace with new. If you have removed the spark plug make sure the gap is set correctly, and check for a spark
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:17 »
Oh just thought check the type of fuel  2 stroke or 4 stroke.

aubergine

Re: Help starting a Howard Rotovator please!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 18:48 »
Thanks Bigbadfrankie, Steve P and Gwiz.  I had not thought to change the 2 stroke fuel and I will download the brochure.

Thanks again

Aubergine

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:42 »
I know next to nothing about engines [you'll notice as you read on] but have a Howard 200 (very, very old).

Once you've filled, pushed and pulled all the bits that should be filled, pushed and pulled I find yanking on the recoil starter / pull chord to turn it over once or twice - followed by walking away and pretending I'm not interested for 5 minutes gives the old girl time to get used to the idea of springing to life again!

It's worked for the last 5 years and the engine's been purring beautifully each year for 40+ years!  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

aubergine

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 21:39 »
Learner  - some excellent advice there thankyou.  I don't thinking hitting it or kicking it helped last time.  So I will try it your way.

Aubergine

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 21:49 »
Learner  - some excellent advice there thankyou.  I don't thinking hitting it or kicking it helped last time.  So I will try it your way.

Aubergine

I had to laugh.... "hitting it or kicking it"...and it's rare for me to laugh out loud in the middle of the week! :lol:

It sounds as if you had the same relationship with your Howard roto as I have with my rotten petrol flymo! :mad: I've spent more time trying to get it spluttering than I have actually spent cutting grass down on the plot with it!

aubergine

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 22:05 »
Learner - I was quite annoyed that my kicking/hitting strategy did not work.  It has never failed me with mechanical appliances before.

Regards

Aubergine

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 18:38 »
If all else fails I really am going to try kicking my flymo!! :mad:

Bought the thing on Ebay.... it arrived not starting despite description saying it was fine. After a service (which seller agreed to pay for) it worked..  once I had spent ages getting it going each time.

Sounds as if it is they way I am attempting to start it but it is back to grinding and fading and being very, very annoying.

Next time it won't play ball - I am kicking it!!  If nothing else I might feel better! :blink:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 22:11 »
when you get it running let us know how you get on

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 18:25 »
Just heard that my Howard 200 rotovator returns from its once in a life-time holiday next week. :)

After donkeys' years of just getting on and doing its job I let it escape for a service. It's neverhad one before but was becoming incontinent...old age had caused it to develop a slight oil leek (or should that be leak!!)

Anyway ... I am so looking forward to having it back (even if the bill will not be such a pleasure to receive). I just hope the old thing continues to be amicable and purr once or twice a year down on the plot as in years gone past. :D

aubergine

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 22:50 »
Hi all

I have changed the fuel, downloaded the manual, put the choke in the right position and pulled the cord a hundred times and still no luck.

It sounds like it should start but just doesn't.  Really gutted cos I love the look of the vintage machine and could really do with it working.  Should I give up? have it serviced ?- not sure who can help with type of thing locally - near Dartford?  Any advice much appreciated.
Aubergine

Gwiz

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 05:22 »
If you can get it to me, I'll have a look at it.

xx
to buy or not to buy HOWARD the rotovator

Started by liz from the fizz on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 20:50
by Bigbadfrankie
sad
Howard 350 rotovator

Started by Keith Davidge on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 20:21
by mower man
xx
Howard Bullfinch rotovator manual

Started by paulf91 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 20:29
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Howard 400

Started by Dangermouse on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 19:46
by Dangermouse

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.