Help Joshua

• 11 Replies

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
Help Joshua
« on: March 02, 2009, 21:49 »
Hi everyone

Let me introduce you to Joshua, he is one of my Light Sussex cockerels

And here he is with some of his ladys, Joshua may have a problem, if you look at his feathers they seem very fluffy,

he 11 months old, could this be something to do with his moult? I have other Light Sussex cockerels of the same age and their feathers are in good order.  Also he has a problem (I think) around his vent area

As you can see he is very red and has stumpy feathers that don’t seem to be growing, can anyone help me identify the problem?

And as a thank you for your help here is a couple of photos of my little chickies hatched last weekend 

Big Thanks

poultrygeist

Re: Help Joshua
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 21:55 »
Hi Paddywack.

Looks to me like either mites or he's being pecked. Are there any signs of mites or eggs round the base of the feathers ?

Rob 8)

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 22:10 »
Hi poultrygeist

I have checked for mites, around the vent and under his feathers on his back but no sign of them, will check again tomorrow and treat him for it anyway.

I first notice his red vent when one of his ladys was pecking at him, i sprayed his vent area with purple spray about 2 weeks ago, you can see it's almost faded.

if it was mites would his girls have them too?

thanks

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 22:15 »
If she was pecking at him, it could well be the pecking that has caused it.

There's a couple of threads running on feather pecking at the moment. Might be worth reading them for the various thoughts on it.

If it is mites, I would think they'll be passed on. My guess would be pecking though.

Rob 8)

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 22:19 »
Thanks

would feather pecking make his feathers go fluffy or is that the moult?

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 22:26 »
I should think that's just moulting. Hopefully someone can give you a better idea. I'm only guessing. Never seen a mite and never had a cockerel ! ::)

But we do have feather peckers. And their bums look like that. I've slapped some stockholm tar on which may or may not work. The latest theory is that it's a mineral/vitamin/protein deficiency which makes sense. Someone gave their chooks cage bird sand that contains minerals & vits and they stopped pecking.

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 22:33 »
mmmmm I have seen something like this before -have you got him in a stable or a very large shed by any chance? How many girls are in with him? This looks like the girls have pecked his hackle and sickle feathers leaving him with a fluffy appearance. You could try swopping cockerels and see what happens, or reducing the amount of hens in with him.
Maybe a little extra calcium and protein. Hens will peck cockerels feathers and he will let them, can be a problem if you have a lot of hens too. Just a thought!

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 05:08 »
Thanks foxy,

A good thought

Yes he is in a large shed with 7 girls, what would you suggest that would give them more calcium and protein ?

I was going to put him on his own for a couple of weeks but swapping him makes more sense  ???

i will let you know how he gets on, he is a beautiful cockerel and it a shame to see him like that.

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 05:11 »

I've just been reading about the mineral/vitamin/protein deficiency and will check the bird cage sand help,

thanks for your help poultrygeist

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 14:10 »
Thanks foxy,

A good thought

Yes he is in a large shed with 7 girls, what would you suggest that would give them more calcium and protein ?

I was going to put him on his own for a couple of weeks but swapping him makes more sense  ???

i will let you know how he gets on, he is a beautiful cockerel and it a shame to see him like that.

Its happened to one of my boys in with neighbours ex-bats, he is gorgeous too. I think once they are outside again it will stop. Cockerels are so tolerant of their hens!
 I think that a little extra calcium/protein would help.  Maybe add a teaspoon of poultry spice as that contains essential minerals too.

woodburner

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 18:08 »
The bareness maybe from errm "overactivity" with the ladies. ;)
I think the redness is within normal levels for an active cockerel too. Mine have red skin even where the feathers are perfect.
The fluffiness suggests a cross with silkies somewhere in his parentage. It's a popular cross on account of the hens being especially good mothers.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 21:10 »
my light sussex hen has very red skin compared with the other breeds that I have....do you have any other lt sussex, and if so how does the skin colour compare?

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.