rhubard splitting

• 6 Replies

scottishislandlass

rhubard splitting
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:42 »
I have a 6 inch pot that is packed with about twenty rhubarb stems.  They are about three inches high with tiny leaves.  I have the perfect soil for them, but I amn't sure if I'm supposed to split them into clumps before I plant them out.  If I need to split them, do I keep a few stems together and is the now the time to do that?  Many thanks!

Paul Plots

Re: rhubard splitting
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:16 »
I think it would depend on whether there is one or more crowns. :unsure:

The "stems" sound like stalks..... I guess it would be possible to have 20 stalks on a new (crown) plant even if it is tiny enough to fit in a 6" pot.

Did you sow the rhubarb from seed? In which case you may have 20 seedlings that need potting on or (less likely) you have one small crown (plant) going bananas.

This will make a difference about what to do next. ;)
Let us know.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

scottishislandlass

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 16:39 »
here's a photo of the rhubarb.  hope this helps!  it's been in and out of not great soil for years, and was picked when very small a couple of years ago.  i have no idea where it came from or how old it is exactly.
rhubarb stalks.JPG

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 16:43 »
I think I'd plant it out as it is for this year, as it looks quite healthy, but it's probably time it was divided so I'd do that come the Autumn when it has died down again.
I only only have experience of other perennials really though, so maybe someone with more specific experience will say differently?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 16:44 »
Looks like a few crowns in there, but as it's all in a 6 inch pot, I'd be inclined to perhaps divide it in half, or possibly 3, and plant 2 halves or the thirds out. To divide it further at such a small size will mean you'll have to wait a few years before you can harvest. When they're much larger, then divide.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 23:33 »
Looks like a few crowns in there, but as it's all in a 6 inch pot, I'd be inclined to perhaps divide it in half, or possibly 3, and plant 2 halves or the thirds out. To divide it further at such a small size will mean you'll have to wait a few years before you can harvest. When they're much larger, then divide.

I agree - either bung the whole lot in and divide later in the autumn or have a go at splitting into 2 or 3 now.... This will depend on what it looks like once turned out of the pot.

A sharp knife pushed downwards between the stems/stalks will split it.... but as a 6" potful I'd plant the lot and leave it to develop.

Either way you will need to give the plant a year to settle down and develop before going wild with the rhubarb and custard. ::)

scottishislandlass

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 18:15 »
great stuff!  will put it out of its misery and get it in the ground this week.

xx
Rhubard is flowering

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 20:10
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Splitting tomatoes.

Started by Bagpuss on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 22:40
by richyrich7
xx
Cauliflower - splitting apart ?

Started by Moomin Mama on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 21:50
by gobs
clip
Splitting tomatoes

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 15:35
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 29 queries.