Carrots in sand

• 14 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Carrots in sand
« on: March 14, 2007, 20:17 »
Hi Gang,
I dug deep for my carrots, having read lots of advice, and mixed sand with the soil and manure etc, to avoid clay lumps making the roots bend.
When I told a friend this, he said that sand was bad for carrots because of "carrot fly".

Any info or advice for me about this  :?:
Jim
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

muntjac

Carrots in sand
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 20:23 »
When I told a friend this, he said that sand was bad for carrots because of "carrot fly".

must be because the cartots might bring along thier buckets n spades and build sand castles  :lol:

" cartots " = baby carrots  :wink:
still alive /............

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Carrots in sand
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 20:25 »
Yep to a point he is correct but carrots will grow better in sand, you can either cover them in enviromesh or fleece or put a barrier of at least 2 foot high around them and that will see them off, manure is not a good idea because if the root hits a piece they will fork.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WG.

Re: Carrots in sand
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 20:30 »
Quote from: "Jim T"

I'd say that carrots attract carrot fly regardless of what soil type they are grown in.  I'll second everything Aidy mentioned.

muntjac

Carrots in sand
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 20:31 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Yep to a point he is correct but carrots will grow better in sand, you can either cover them in enviromesh or fleece or put a barrier of at least 2 foot high around them and that will see them off, manure is not a good idea because if the root hits a piece they will fork.

erm wot point? carrot fly will fly to carrots where ever ya plant em whether its sand soil or cornflakes me thinks . i think its another one them old womens ( not being sexist and insisting the tales are made by ladies who are wives or cohabitating wives ) tales aidy matey  :lol:

jack russell

Carrots in sand
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 22:14 »
( not being sexist and insisting the tales are made by ladies who are wives or cohabitating wives )

Munty oh Munty

ROFLMAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

mkhenry

Sand and carrots
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 00:55 »
Far better to find out what carrots do well in your soil and area. Sand will soon sink in clay,which can be good to get the air in,but not help the carrots very much.As to carrot fly they now sell seed that is carrot fly resistant. I grow carrots in black plastic dustbins Planting the seed in a spiral.Carrot fly cannot get higher than 18 to 20 inches.so I always get a good clean grop.Which is ok in a garden but not so easy on a lottie. Muntjak is correct as usual,carrots can be grown in most soils successfully,but again if you want to be a carrot grower study what does well in your area and you will be ok.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 19:45 »
What type of sand do you use for growing the carrots with?
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 20:15 »
Resurrected an old one here !

No expert on this but from what I've read etc "sharp sand" is the one to use for horticultural uses. Don't know why, someone will most probably be along to explain  :)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

nickthegreek

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 20:46 »
My first year on my allotment so no expert but I am growing my carrots in folding pallet bottoms if you know what i mean they are like hinged raised beds stacked these 2 high filled with compost sand and vermiculite I sowed the seed 2 weeks ago and covered in clear thick plastic sheet and they have started to germinate already will keep the plastic on until it warms up a bit then I intend on wrapping a clear plastic wall around the bed !!

With regards to carrot fly I have heard of people having carrot fly in there gardens that have 12ft walls around them I think they might get blown in there by the wind but I am not sure !

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 21:20 »
Sharp sand is a bit more coarse and won't bind with heavier soil like clay. Soft sand, like play sand, will bind and turn clay into concrete.

And like everyone else, I agree that any soil with carrots will attract carrot fly, so best to cover the whole season as suggested.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 21:28 »
My resistant type still got carrot fly damage last year.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 21:31 »
I don't believe there really is a carrot fly resistant variety that works. Sounds more like a marketing ploy than reality.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 22:04 »
Sharp sand is a bit more coarse and won't bind with heavier soil like clay. Soft sand, like play sand, will bind and turn clay into concrete.

Thanks for that Trillium, not knowing a thing about construction materials etc I did wonder what difference the sands made, just always heard that you use sharp sand in the garden  :)

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 23:00 »
Strictly speaking you want to be using horticultural (washed) sand - with builders sharp sand you run the risk of changing the acidity of your soil.

I made a small raised bed last year and filled it with a 1 part sieved topsoil, 1 part sieved compost, 1 part sand mix (Medwyn Williams' standard carrot mix) and the results I had were fantastic.

It was a lot of work though...

xx
Sand for Carrots

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 00:59
by Howard
xx
sand for carrots

Started by mad and steve on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 15:55
by JayG
xx
Using sand to grow carrots

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 20:38
by Thrutchington
xx
growing carrots in sand

Started by Gazzer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 18:55
by Gazzer

Page created in 0.975 seconds with 37 queries.