New to chickens

• 3 Replies

Sluggs

New to chickens
« on: February 28, 2009, 19:10 »
Hi, to all...
Some assistance would be great !. ::)
Ive bought a coop( suits 4-5 Chickens ),and built a run, I would like to get the feeders etc, that would accommidate three Pekin chickens, Im not sure what size feeders, water, grit bowls I need. Also are the feeder/water bowls put inside the coop at night, and if so the size must matter. Is there a starter pack that contains what I need, or could some one give me a check list, so I can get started.
I live in the Dartford area in Kent.
Many thanks....... ::)

poultrygeist

Re: New to chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 19:34 »
Hi Sluggs. Welcome  :)

We have 6 hens and have a 3kg feeder (like This one) and the drinker is about 3 litres (like This one) but I'd go slightly bigger if you can.

I never put either inside. We have a rat-proof-ish run and I leave food and water out all the time and so far have got away with it. The hens go in at night to sleep and are let out soon after sunrise so don't need any food or water until they come out.

You can buy starter packs if you look around the web but if you're near a local supplier you can pick everything up ok.

Rob 8)

Sluggs

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 19:56 »
Rob,
many thanks for your reply, do you have to include a grit container aswell in the run?
at the mo it just grass

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 20:04 »
Yes indeed ! :)

I have an old mousse tub. Some people use small flower pots which work well.But you can buy them ready made.
You need to offer them layers pellets all the time, obviously refill the water daily or as required and the poultry grit which includes limestone and/or oyster shell which supplements their calcium.

There's lots of bits and pieces you can buy but some won't be needed very often.

Rob

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
new chickens

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 09:24
by wadz81

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 36 queries.