Lime , manure and chitting!

• 8 Replies

SalB

• salslickleshed
Lime , manure and chitting!
« on: February 28, 2009, 15:16 »
Plot almost cleared , if weather holds should finish it tomorrow ... Hooray!

Onions , garlics and shallots growing well ... was advised today by other plot holders not to put any manure on the side that I am growing these and keep that side for potatoes and root veg . as the onions etc are doing well , so other root veg should as well.

They have also recommended that I manure the other half of the plot very soon for brassicas and legumes , but only a thin layer across the top ... does that sound right?

My soil is very clayie and I keep getting contradicting advice about sprinkling some lime about ... joined the local lotty association today and bought a small bag (a bargain at 85p!) but now don't know whether I should sprinkle it about or not!

Last question .... honest! I have taken delivery of a bag of charlotte seed potatoes and a bag of maris piper seed potatoes ... lots of disagreement on site about chitting and whether or not it makes much of a differance .... so do I chit or not? Bearing in mind it is a new plot and could really do with the spuds going in asap to help the soil

Thanks in anticipation

Sal   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:59 by Aunt Sally »
The sun is always shining .... somewhere!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Lime , manure and chitting!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 16:52 »
not sure about the other questions but you have to put you potatoes somewhere until they go in the ground so you may as well put them in trays to chit, if they have by the time you plant them all well and good, if they havent i shouldnt worry.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 17:12 »
I have just limed my brassica bed for the first time as my soil is heavy and will put rotted manure on later on as a  mulch. Don't lime and manure together as you can get some sort of a reaction going on between them. Re- manure and onions - I live near Robinson's (mammoth onion place) and their website advises to put manure underneath then soil on top so the roots can get to the manure. I have heard that onions may rot if in manure so I don't know but Robinson's win prizes at Chelsea so will give it a try this year.  :wub:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 17:16 »
Thanks Gg thats a good tip
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 19:16 »
Putting a thin layer on the top is fine if you have lots of worms: they'll dig it in for you.  If you need to dig anyway, you may as well mix the manure in at the same time.  You can also put a layer around established plants as a mulch (particularly useful for the things that need their feet damp in the sun).

Check the soil pH before you lime: lots of people do it from habit, even when the soil doesn't need it, and do more harm than good that way.

Chitting gives you earlier crops of potatoes, especially first earlies.  It also stops the wretched things sprouting or rotting on you unawares (which can happen all to easily if you leave them in bags and forget to keep an eye on them)!

SalB

• salslickleshed
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 22:20 »
Thanks for the replies so far ....

Using lime .... think I may give it a miss this year and see what happens

Manure .... Got loads of worms (I feed some to the Robin most weeks!) so a layer over the top for my brassicas and legumes this year should suffice

Chitting ..... working for the next 2 weekends so , as pointed out , they may as well be put into seed trays and maybe they'll chit , maybe they won't!

Thanks guys ...  I know I can always get the answers required from you.

If you want to see pics of my efforts so far .... see my web link
top right hand corner of the site is a photoblog ... please leave comments, I need all the help I can get!

Keep smilin'
Sal x
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:59 by Aunt Sally »

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 09:25 »
Great choice in blog software :D

¥

SalB

• salslickleshed
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:05 »
Thanks Yabba  , I can't take any credit for the choice of software , that is all the husband's doing..... He says he used that as I would find it easy to use!  :ohmy:

Sal

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:58 »
If you get stuck or want more out of your blog then feel free to join the support forums ;)

¥

xx
Manure or lime

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 11:44
by sunshineband
xx
Manure & Lime

Started by ianjmatt on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 18:47
by Robin Redbreast
question
Manure & Lime? Where?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 16:37
by Goldfinger
xx
lime and manure

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 10:05
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.634 seconds with 36 queries.