THE BIG DIG

• 21 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
THE BIG DIG
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 08:43 »
We had a cat who used to watch Lassie with our daughter - when the dog ran off screen she would run behind the TV to see where it had gone.

There doesn't seem to be much help on the TV for vegetable growers - Gardeners World seems to be far more interested in growing veg in pretty coloured buckets - playing at it.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

stompy

THE BIG DIG
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 09:11 »
Don't know what you think about it, but i baught the allotment DVD.

It's about allotments in the bath area.

I like it, gives loads of tips, i'v watched it loads of times usualy when it's raining and i need my allotment fix.

This is the only program that i'v seen on allotments, or veg growing realy :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
THE BIG DIG
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 09:53 »
I haven't seen it myself but I heard it was good. There's a link to it in the links section  LINKHERE

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
THE BIG DIG
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 11:06 »
Not had a problem explaining allotments to Americans. They sort of understand them if you say they're like the community gardens in inner-cities. Just they're larger than those community gardens usually. I had a Brit, albeit I think they were younger than me, ask what one was on the hamster forums I run. They understood once I explained it to them. Maybe I'm just very good at explaining things? I'm probably a good translator between the two cultures.

The first thing I thought when I first saw allotments out the train window was that it was a shanty town for poor homeless people  :oops: Those homemade sheds made from corrugated metal sheeting reminds me of those shelters they build as homes in Africa  :oops:
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
THE BIG DIG
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 11:24 »
My good friend Paul now lives in Springfield (I kid you not) Missouri and he said he'd shown someone this site and they just couldn't work it out. Mind you, a group of network engineers aren't exactly normal people :)

He had an awful time for a while finding a job until he met a recruitment consultant who told him to change 'made redundant' to 'laid off due to downsizing' - I don't know what the difference is, but he got the next job he applied for.

Years back I caused a stir on IRC when I said I was 'just going to roll a fag'.

So, joking aside, do you like it here?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
THE BIG DIG
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 12:08 »
UPDATE

I have recieved an apology from the original poster on this thread who explains he thought this would be of interest to us.

I've explained my concerns over the style of the post etc and hope that's clarified matters.

Anyway, he's free to rejoin if he wants to now and I hope we can get some more details about the program to post soon.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
THE BIG DIG
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 16:03 »
I watched 'The Allotment' when it was on, but just as you are getting into it, the series finishes!!  It was also the last of the series of @It's not easy being green on Tuesday.  I enjoyed that too!  The only thing was, it was such a shame they were overlooked by so many houses!!

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.