How to start growing veg

• 10 Replies

Ch4rli3

How to start growing veg
« on: February 24, 2009, 16:54 »
Hi everyone,

So this is my first year with an allotment and I cant wait to get started.  I have made a list of what I want to grow and produced a plan so that I know everything will fit in.

One question I do have is that I have been reading a number of threads saying a lot of veg is started in greenhouses or consrvatories before planting out under cloches.  

Is this really necessary or can I sow directly into the ground a little later into the spring.  I am curently living in a small apartment so dont have the luxury of many window sills to start my veg on and thus being the main reason in getting an allotment.

Also as this is my first year I didnt really want to spend a lot of money on bits and pieces I dont really need.  So far I have bought all new tools and a shed so any advice to keep further costs down would be appreciated.

thanks in advance for any advice

Goosegirl

Re: How to start growing veg
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 17:24 »
There are quite a lot of veg than can be sown straight into the ground when the soil warms up. They include beans, peas, leeks, cabbage family, carrots, onions (sets are best for a newbie, beetroot, carrots, parsley, lettuce, parsnips. Have a look on the seed packets and see what they say. It might be a good idea to make a small dedicated seedbed from which you can transplant things like leeks. Hopefully, that will leave you enough room to chit potatoes and start off toms and sweetcorn on your windowsills.   :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GreenOwl

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 17:33 »
Hi Ch4tli3,

You can sow direct.  The advantages of starting off indoors are things like starting earlier and planting out sturdier plants that are less likely to get eaten (by pests not you. :))  Some plants need a long growing season so it tends to be worth starting those off indoors because otherwise they might not have a chance to produce a crop before the autumn.  Sweet or chilli peppers need a long growing season for example.  Some veg does far better sown direct anyway (carrots and parsnips for example.)

I've got plastic bell cloches which were fairly cheap.  Old windows are supposed to be easy to turn into home-made cold frames.  If you can manage a cold frame of some sort you could try using the windowsills for germinating seedlings and then moving them to a cold frame at the lottie once germinated and pricked out. 

Otherwise try and grow direct this year and see how you do.  Sometimes you do better with direct sowing anyway because the plants don't get the check they get when they are moved so they can be stronger.  Good luck.

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 18:40 »
If you have at least one windowsill that gets bright light, why not make a temporary shelf in the window so that you can have twice as much growing space for seed trays  ;)

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 20:23 »
If you have at least one windowsill that gets bright light, why not make a temporary shelf in the window so that you can have twice as much growing space for seed trays  ;)

OMG that is such a good idea Ihave no idea why I did not think of it. My familey will kill me but hay ho!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 20:25 »
 ....and make sure you don't catch the whole lot in the curtains as it makes a big crash as it all lands on the floor!!! ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Ch4rli3

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 23:26 »
Thanks for the advice everyone

noshed

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 23:34 »
Big pop bottles are good for keeping the cold and slugs off seedlings. When I first started I got everyone at work to save theirs for me. And I'm still using them. Pound shops sell cheap fleece and cloches too.
But cold frames are the way to go - pallets and old windows out of skips, or bits of plastic. Put your seed trays in and away you go!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 10:08 »
If you haven't got room to plant indoors/greenhouse/coldframe...

Most of the literature (and the more experienced and invariably smarter old boys who know what they're doing) will tell you that if you plant later you can plant directly outdoors and more often than not they will catch up. Maybe not quite as early a crop but a crop nevertheless.

I'm not that smart, patient or experienced though - the windowsills are filling up already :)

Good luck
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Brian_of_Bozeat

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 22:38 »
As most have already said, you CAN start stuff off indoors but theres really no need for most vegetables.

You will enjoy yourself just as much sowing direct (maybe more) there will come a time though (once you are hooked) when you will be trying to grow things that you shouldn't - out of season - by any means possible, just like the rest of us  :tongue2: hahaha
If only we could teach the Slugs to only eat the Weeds, and then the Pigeons to only eat the Slugs!

Ch4rli3

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 12:19 »
Thanks again guys for all the advice.

I look forward to getting stuck in during the coming months.  Lets all hope we have a good summer this year :)

xx
what can i start growing?

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 08:50
by sarah1983jane
xx
what can i start growing now

Started by DOBBO on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 17:58
by DOBBO
thumbup
Start of the new growing season

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 18:24
by Christo
xx
winter growing - is there anything I can start now?

Started by metalkitten on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 10:55
by metalkitten

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 36 queries.