Stale Earth

• 11 Replies

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
Stale Earth
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:45 »
Hi All,

I have removed concrete from an area of around 10 feet x 25 feet and want to grow veg on this area.

What preparation do I need to do to the ground with it being covered for around 25 years.

Will growmore be sufficient or do i need to add anything else.?

All advice much appreciated.  :)

Thanks

Steve

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: Stale Earth
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:51 »
Difficult to say without seeing or testing it.  If it was me I would get as much compost/horse manure etc as I could find and add that.  Unlikely to have much life in it e.g. worms etc currently.  Not sure that I would try and grow anything this year although some people with more knowledge than me could probably recommend a green manure of some sort.

Bombers

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53 »
Hi Steve,
You need to clear the area of any remaining concrete. Then, Double dig and incorporate as much organic matter as you can lay your hands on. (compost/manure/leaf mould etc,.)
Good luck.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06 »
Hi

Have a dig - take out a chunk and turn it over. What is it like? Has it any worms? Is it hard clay or sand or what?

Either way, I suspect you'll need as much organic as possible as the others have said.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52 »
I'd be most surprised if you find any worms more than a few inches in from where the edge was. Even worms need to eat, and there's been no food there for 25 years. They'll have moved out long ago!
You'll definitely need to add loads of organic matter, but if the topsoil was removed before  the concrete was put down, you will need some decent soil too.
Even if the original topsoil is still there it's probably a good idea to get some (unsterilised) topsoil anyway and scatter it around to kick-start the soil fauna.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

DIGGER

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:57 »
Its a big area not to try something this year. Might be worth popping some potatoes in then after they have been harvest get some manure in ready for next year.
The potatoes will also help break up the ground

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:18 »
I would also do a pH test - if I recall correctly, concrete contains lime so can make the soil quite alkaline
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 13:54 »
Had a dig in various areas and i did find some worms, think those areas are where the concrete had got cracks in it. Where the water could seep through.

There are also quite a bit of the wiggly white roots that have been spreading under the concrete. Not sure what weed they are.

I'm on Holiday all this week so will get it all dug over.

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 14:04 »
I would do as suggested with all the organic matter you can findand also go with Digger..plant potatoes....they really do help!!!!

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 15:56 »
There are also quite a bit of the wiggly white roots that have been spreading under the concrete. Not sure what weed they are.

Sounds like couch roots which are very invasive. Definitely want to be rid of every bit you can find before any planting or amending. Every tiny bit left will sprout. At this pale stage it should be easy to pull lengths of them out.

woodburner

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 17:03 »
Couch roots aren't really wiggly, bind weed is though. Whatever it is you don't want it sprouting up in your veg plot so it needs to come out. The worms are a good sign. What does the soil look and feel like generally?

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 18:20 »
Couch roots aren't really wiggly, bind weed is though. Whatever it is you don't want it sprouting up in your veg plot so it needs to come out. The worms are a good sign. What does the soil look and feel like generally?

The soil where the worms are is quite soft but there are areas where it is hard and taking some breaking up.

Think the best option would be, as you say to treat it as all stale, then get to work bringing it back to life.  :)

The weeds are coming out easily and i think i'm getting it all but realise there will be a certain amount of growth with some of the * hiding from me.

Thanks for all the advice

Steve

xx
How soon to earth up?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 23:19
by John
xx
what on earth was that!!!

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2007, 18:29
by purplebat
xx
what on earth?

Started by Beano on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 20:25
by JoshP
xx
What on earth am i doing wrong?

Started by PhilBarnes on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2016, 21:39
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.933 seconds with 36 queries.