FLYING RATS!!!

• 14 Replies

goose

• Experienced Member
FLYING RATS!!!
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:28 »
Ive taken over my new plot and have been chatting to peeps on neighbouring plots about the biggest pests they have and everyone says pigeons :(

ive been told to cover everything i grow and looking around , some people have gone to extraordinary lengths, one has a 12 ft high fruit cage over his entire plot!!  now, i can manage to cover the onions until they get bigger and have asked hubby to build me a cage for my sprouts but what about everything else?  i wanted to grow sweetcorn but wonder if im wasting my time if the flying rats are such a problem.  would they attack potato leaves too?

why cant they go and annoy the tourists at windsor castle?? what else can i do to deter these flee ridden pests :mad:

woodburner

Re: FLYING RATS!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:40 »
Potatoes will be fine, the leaves are poisonous. Even rabbits leave them alone!
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

LMorgan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:27 »
Same with our plot - pigeons are a nightmare.  Talking to other people I've been advised to wrap video tape between stakes above my crops, net larger plants (particularly broccoli) and hang cds. 

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:46 »
You only need to net your greens, plus it will keep off the cabbage whites which decimated peoples last year.
Paul

poppies

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:51 »
Hi I only used to cover my brassica's  and peas but last year they  had my broad beans as well  - they looked like someone had been at them with a stick we knew it was pigeons because we saw them fly off, this year every thing except potatoes is getting covered

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 14:39 »
I use fleece over all my brassica and peas. Once the peas are a height the pigeons cannot get to them I take the fleece off. brassicas stays fleeced all summer long. I make sure that the fleece hoops/stakes are tall enough to keep off the tops of the brassicas.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 16:33 »
Digger Dave (DD) insists he needs kevlar (bulletproof) netting against his flying rats  :D He also says he needs to pin the netting down well at ground level as the pests will simply walk under it and into his brassicas.  Pigeons are not shy nor stupid, just an immense nuisance.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 21:18 »
SO....to conclude, i use video tape and CD's to build them their own Blockbusters :lol:, plant lots of potatoes as they are poisonous and hope they eat them and die, and buy kevlar coated nets just in case they live :lol:

we never had so many pigeons before a former london mayor stopped people feeding them in trafalgar square.....i blame him :mad:

lacewing

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 07:11 »
I have 2 large blow up owels which I tie onto posts at either end of the plot, seems to do the trick.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

horsepooisgood

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 07:30 »
Shoot the b-ggers, then roast them they are delicious, after all they have fed on lovely fresh greens :ohmy:

lacewing

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10 »
Shoot the b-ggers, then roast them they are delicious, after all they have fed on lovely fresh greens :ohmy:

YUK!!, roasted rats!.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38 »
blow up owls sound great!! where did you get them.

lacewing

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 09:15 »
blow up owls sound great!! where did you get them.

Really can't remember, try Google I think that's what I done.

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 09:40 »
As others have said brassicas need to be covered at all times. One of our plot holders last year planted out some cabbages and went home for lunch. When he came back he only had stalks.

They will eat
peas until they are about 10 inches high. Also low down pods.
broad beans as they emerge from the soil. Crows will pull them up but not eat them.

They do not eat
potatoes, onion family, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, radish, french beans, runner beans, courgettes, squash, sweetcorn. Crows may pull sweetcorn out. Never had trouble with lettuce but I would cover them.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 15:08 »
wow, thanks salmo.  most of what they dont eat is what i am planning to grow on the plot, so fingers crossed.  i just need to get hubby to build me a frame to net my sprouts under ::)

xx
PIGEONS - flying rats!

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 13:01
by binner
xx
flying ants

Started by mand on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 21:51
by solway cropper
clip
Infestation of flying ants?

Started by si.hyde on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 28, 2020, 18:28
by si.hyde
xx
Small white flying things?

Started by beestie-crawlies on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2008, 11:05
by beestie-crawlies

Page created in 1.565 seconds with 36 queries.