Pecking order.

• 3 Replies

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
Pecking order.
« on: February 22, 2009, 20:44 »
I have four hens, two of which i have had for just over a week. They are all segretted at the moment, how long would you advise us to wait before putting them altogether. They are not free range but are let into the garden each day. Today was the first day we let the new ones out and the older ones really attacked them. :(

How long will they squabble? I am aware of the pecking order, will it last a few days or will it go on for weeks? It really upsets me to see them pick on the new ones. The older two are a year old and we have had them since they were 15weeks old, the new ones are 15 weeks old. They are all hybrid birds, and from the same farm.

They have been segretted for just over a week now shall we keep them apart for another week or just bite the bullet, will another week make much difference? ( I am going to spray them all with vinegar when we put them together!)
Please help.
HENrietta  :)
Live, Love and Laugh!

Vember

Re: Pecking order.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 21:18 »
It can vary Hen, and I do think it has a lot to do with the area they are in.
For example mine free range so when I've introduced new birds they tootle off in groups, gradually over time they become one - in the past that has taken up to 4 weeks, but I don't get the fighting.

If it were me and if I were able I would leave them separate for another week and see how they get on in the garden then.

Perhaps as well as the vinegar you could get some dried mealworms and hide them in an around the garden or may be a corn on the cob or two, chopped into 4 for them to attack instead of each other ???

Sarah :)

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 21:45 »
Thanks Sarah, i really appreciate the advice. I think we will wait one more week and put them in the garden together every tea time. Then next weekend spray them with the vinegar and put them all in the same hen house at bed time, then let battle commence.
 :mad:
I will keep you informed, thanks again honey. :)
HENrietta x

shiatsusu

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:05 »
I've just had the same thing Hen with one new girl whom the other four established girls were mean to, so we kept her separate but all slept together fine at night. After a week we tried them together in their run and 3 had settled down but one hen remained really nasty to her, so now we have the nasty hen separate and the new girl is in with the others and they are fine. I'm going to try the nasty one back in after a week (they still all sleep together with no probs at night). Can you try taking one mean chook out and putting your two new girls in with the other one to break up the order?

xx
Pecking Order.

Started by markrsmurf on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 20:24
by purplebat
xx
pecking order

Started by VIZLA BLUE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 20:55
by mtoyne
xx
Pecking order

Started by Derculees on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 22:31
by Derculees
xx
Pecking order

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 22:13
by henrietta5

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 36 queries.