saw the news today about allotments

• 16 Replies

karlooben

saw the news today about allotments
« on: February 19, 2009, 20:44 »
on the news today they were talking about ppl growing thier own crops etc an that allotment spaces were geting rare , so the national trust is opening up land on private estates an similar so that land can be turned into allotment patches for ppl . they also said there is something like 100,000 ppl on waiting lists to have  a plot on sites around the country  :ohmy: :ohmy: thats quite shocking .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Elcie

Re: saw the news today about allotments
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 21:00 »
It really does seem to be getting more and more popular.  Growing your own is more and more evident in the shops - or am I just noticing it more?  Tesco have seeds for sale in their vegetable section and the first thing you see when you go into our local B&Q are potato seeds and grow your own information.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 21:02 »
That is quite shocking.  At least the NT are doing something to help though and I bet some of their land is in some fab locations! (looking at it from a more shallow point of view...ahem.... :blush:

I suggested to my council contact that I registered the redundant plots on the allotment on Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's landshare scheme on his website.  No reply yet.... :dry:  mind you, its not like I HAVE to get their permission to do it....I was just being polite...
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 21:02 »
my allotment has loads of space left mind you since i got mine last july there has been atleast 7 or 8 new plotters
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 21:17 »
some of the sites the N/T  are letting ppl use are  inside the gardens of manor houses etc that they look after so yeh they in very beatiful surroundings.

all the sites in my area all have waiting lists  , one place has 75 ppl on the waiting list.i have heard of places in london that have over a 1,000 ppl on one waiting list alone  but i cant remember what area that was .

we do have one site very close to me that the council have aloned to become well overgrown with brambles etc so much of it is is very bad condition but also getting there by car isnt easy at all so much ppl avoid the site .

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 21:24 »
It really does seem to be getting more and more popular.  Growing your own is more and more evident in the shops - or am I just noticing it more?  Tesco have seeds for sale in their vegetable section and the first thing you see when you go into our local B&Q are potato seeds and grow your own information.

tesco have seeds for sale every year in the fruit n veg section,..i work there.
they came out a couple of weeks ago in stores.
selling fruit tress at the mo ,just brought a healthy cherry tree for £7.plus got my discount off,too fab.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 21:27 »
veg seeds are selling loads more now then flower seeds appartently ., but that doesnt really surprise me .

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 23:18 »
i only waited 4 months for mine and thats in barmy berkshire!!! there are more available but you would have to brave to take them on, they are very overgrown with brambles, but if you really want one im sure you could get one.  perhaps people want them 'ready to go' so to speak!! i have been daunted by the work i need to do on mine but am grateful for the opportunity to have a plot overlooking the castle :happy:

Lady Lottie

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 23:33 »
I think you hit the nail on the head Goose.  I didn't want to be on a waiting list forever and hassled the council about clearing a disused sight for 12 months before getting fed up and asking "If I clear it myself - can I have a plot?"  They said yes and I got my plot.  My contact at the council said that in his experience people underestimate the effort required to manage an allotment plot and that most of them DO want a "ready to plant patch" - all fresh, weed-free and beautifully tilled just lying there saying "plant me"! :lol:  They can't be chewed with clearing and weeding and waiting....... :nowink:

titch

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 23:34 »
we have had to wait over a year for ours, and the land is rented privatley of a local guy who is renting the newly formed assoc the land - we got 30 plots, some are to be shared and there are people on the list too - and we are in a village surrounded by fields - go figure  :)
just keep breathing................

diggerjoe

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:57 »
This was topic of conversation in the office yesterday and one of guys in the studio showed us on google earth where loads of plots used to be in coventry now all over grown - one area was where three or four still had theirs but surrounded by a huge wilderness - shame so much space is going to waste when on my site we have 25 on the waiting list

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 16:12 »
I think some of it can be put down to the tiny size of land that comes with new houses these days - the postage-stamp-sized garden!
And then, all of those developers who persuade people to sell off their garden to build houses on it!
It's not a new thing - but mass production started to affect the size of the gardens from the 70s (this is not from experience, but looking at the ages of houses that have been built behind/next to older houses)  :mad:

It's sad, really, but hopefully, it's not too late to reclaim the land!

(I need a militant smiley now)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 22:05 »
the thing is lots of people will get allotments and then get bored with them or put off by the amount of work they take - certainly when you start and there's weeding to do. after their six weeks of enthusiasm dies out they abandon it and the weeds take over until, six months down the line, they're evicted and another one comes along.

it's pot luck that the plot gets the plotholder it deserves.

they'll be another surge of people wanting plots after tonight's natural world on bbc2 i bet except this lot will be planting forest gardens - i feel sorry for those that come after them, having to fell trees.

i'm tired and cranky after a full day on my plot (surrounded by deserted weedy ones).

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 22:17 »
on the news today they were talking about ppl growing thier own crops etc ... they also said there is something like 100,000 ppl on waiting lists to have  a plot on sites around the country  :ohmy: :ohmy: thats quite shocking .

I saw this too and thought it was a good idea but when I saw the estimate of 100k people on lists I wondered where they dreamed this up from...  nobody asked me how many were on my list  :blink:

Lady Lottie

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 22:21 »
the thing is lots of people will get allotments and then get bored with them or put off by the amount of work they take - certainly when you start and there's weeding to do. after their six weeks of enthusiasm dies out they abandon it and the weeds take over until, six months down the line, they're evicted and another one comes along.

it's pot luck that the plot gets the plotholder it deserves.

they'll be another surge of people wanting plots after tonight's natural world on bbc2 i bet except this lot will be planting forest gardens - i feel sorry for those that come after them, having to fell trees.

i'm tired and cranky after a full day on my plot (surrounded by deserted weedy ones).

I don't understand why the council don't do more to control the vacant plots - even if it was just a case of slapping some black polythene all over it until the contract was renewed.  Is there are really obv reason that I'm missing as to why they don't..? :blink:  Apart from money maybe...?

xx
Good News and Bad News

Started by Dawnte on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 12:03
by Dawnte
xx
Breaking news! and a big thank you.

Started by Hazel Anne on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 15:46
by sclarke624
xx
News from Hull

Started by BigPaddy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 21:16
by Lee1978
xx
News paper

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 19:59
by Trillium

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 37 queries.