roundup'd in november

• 14 Replies

digalotty

roundup'd in november
« on: February 19, 2009, 20:37 »
i put roundup on half my plot in november, can i now scrape the dead top off and dig over and plant.   i know the roundup is safe but if i just scrape the top and dig will the weeds re emerg or do i have to painstakingly remove roots as i dig, im hoping i can just dig them in.
        thanks 
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: roundup'd in november
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 20:39 »
I believe that roundup also kills the root so you should be ok to dig them in. 
Cheese makes everything better.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 20:48 »
i thought roundup only worked in warmer conditions and when weeds are actively growing, so not so sure if your weeds are dead to the root.  im planning on doing half of my new plot, but was advised (by fellow forumites) that it is too cold to work at the moment. i used it on my patio late in the season and it didnt really do the job properly, probably for that reason.  hopefully someone will be able to advise you for sure.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 23:12 »
Certaily you can skim the top off. It should all look dead, red and yellow with no green leaf. Compare it with unsprayed areas.

If there was plenty of green leaf when you applied the Roundup and you applied it correctly then the roots will be dead. Inevitably there will be some bits that had no leaf at the time and the odd bit that missed being sprayed which will regrow.

Really you should shake all the roots out and remove. If you think you did a good job spraying then dig it in and tackle any regrowth as it shows itself.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 23:19 »
I know something has started growing on the bits of my lottie I've managed to dig so far and I have to assume they're weeds  ??? I'm just waiting on a dry day with no wind to get the roundup going.  :D
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 23:30 »
Galen - many of your weeds will not have any leaf yet and Roundup applied now will miss them. Leave alone for a couple of weeks until there is about 4 inches of leaf.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:31 »
I have a similar problem; I have an area I covered with plastic when i got it in August which was grass and very bindweed infested. The grass seems to have died, but getting the bindweed out of heavy clay by digging alone would be near impossible with the time I have. I want to glyphosate the bindweed as it appears, but by then it will be too late to use the plot for many things.
Charlie

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 09:36 »
Salmo - will do, I suppose I'm suffering from the "I want to do something"syndrome. I'll just carry on hand weeding the couch grass etc from 1/4 of the plot I dedicated to hand weeding :)

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:56 »
I have a similar problem; I have an area I covered with plastic when i got it in August which was grass and very bindweed infested. The grass seems to have died, but getting the bindweed out of heavy clay by digging alone would be near impossible with the time I have. I want to glyphosate the bindweed as it appears, but by then it will be too late to use the plot for many things.
Charlie
If you get as much out as you can, what regrows will be a lot weaker and with regular weeding or hoeing will give up the ghost.
An alternative (still getting rid of as much as you can when digging to weaken the plants) is to give it canes or sticks to climb up rather than your plants, then when it is big enough for spraying, it will be easier to protect your plants from the spray.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 13:26 »
Charlie
If you get as much out as you can, what regrows will be a lot weaker and with regular weeding or hoeing will give up the ghost.
An alternative (still getting rid of as much as you can when digging to weaken the plants) is to give it canes or sticks to climb up rather than your plants, then when it is big enough for spraying, it will be easier to protect your plants from the spray.

this is a good tip.. then you can pull cane out.. stuff the bindweed into a plastic bag spray the roundup into the bag and seal to make sure you are protecting your plants
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 14:33 by senrab_nhoj »
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

AndyRVTR

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 14:04 »
i put roundup on half my plot in november, can i now scrape the dead top off and dig over and plant.   i know the roundup is safe but if i just scrape the top and dig will the weeds re emerg or do i have to painstakingly remove roots as i dig, im hoping i can just dig them in.
        thanks 

Just turn it over, Roundup kills the root too...  :)

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 15:41 »
Roundup certainly doesn't kill bindweed roots on first application in my experience, so please don't dig it in yet. You'll need to zap it every few weeks to have any effect at all, although the plastic bag method might be quicker.

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 16:04 »
For weeds among your crops make up a strong mixture of roundup in a wide necked container, e.g. jamjar, and apply it very carefully to the weeds with a small paintbrush without dripping any on your crop. If you wear rubber gloves you can hold the leaves to paint them. You can thicken the solution with wallpaper paste to make it less liable to drip. This is also usefull for killing weeds in perennial flowers and shrubs. You need to take your time so take a stool.

You used to be able to get "Tumbleweed Gel" which was a thick glyphosate (the chemical in roundup) and dyed red with a brush in the lid. Is it still sold?

The above method is probably not an approved reccomendation. It  is up to you to check that out.

digalotty

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 19:52 »
thanks everyone im digging it over te weekend, hope the weather is as lovely as today,
im also tempted to put some peas and french beans in ritchies paper pots ready.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 20:27 »
Remember to read the back of the packet and resist the urge to plant too early.   :tongue2:

xx
November

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 20:10
by Sophie_Chilli
xx
what to plant in November

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2012, 18:34
by Madame Cholet
xx
Nates Frubund from last November

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 23:17
by Ice
xx
Can I plant strawberry plants in November?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 09:46
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 36 queries.