Sweetcorn and neighbouring plants

• 7 Replies

themoog

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn and neighbouring plants
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:45 »
I've a quarter plot, which used to be a full plot split up. A foot high boundary and goodwill is all that separates my bit from my neighbour's and I'm also next to a full size plot. With so little space, I've got very little choice about where I put my sweetcorn and this year it'll need to be right up against my neighbour's bit of lotty.

My sweetcorn last year (1st year on lotty) was pants, despite having grown fine in my back garden but I just put it down to the weather. Now I'm wondering  :unsure: and there's no longer enough space to keep growing it in my garden.

How much of a problem will it be if we grow different varieties of sweetcorn? I saw the bloke about 3 times last year, mostly at the end of the summer, so I doubt that I'll get a chance to find out what he's growing before I start mine off this year.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

zazen999

Re: Sweetcorn and neighbouring plants
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:50 »
I wouldn't worry unless you are hoping to save the seed for next year...in fact it would give better pollenation if they are closer together.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:11 »
Last year i grew F1 Bodacious sweetcorn. This year i'm trying a variety called "Two's Sweeter". If you dont have much space you can grow Courgette's or Lettuce between the sweetcorn plants. Sweetcorn is best grown in blocks approx 15" apart each way, as it is a wind pollinated plant. If you are growing it in a sheltered spot or a row, you should shake the plants daily when the tassels have formed at the top of the plant. Also sweetcorn does not like root disturbance so plant straight in the ground, or into paper pots so they can be planted without disturbing the roots. If your site is very windy earth up the stems of the plants to stop them bending too much in the wind.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 14:57 »
I have seen some packets say something about not growing too close to other varieties, but I have my doubts about it being really important.
If your neighbour has such a variety then IMHO, it's up to him to find out where you are planting yours.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 16:29 »
It does not matter if the pollen comes from a different variety, it will not affect the cobs.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 16:39 »
I think it's supposed to refer to the Supersweet varieties that are meant to loose their sweetness if pollinated by other varieties, but having grown 2 different supersweets next to each other last year, I can assure you that their sweetness isn't affected in my opinion - they were wonderful.

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 18:22 »
Thanks, I do grow supersweet as we have to make the best use of our limited sunshine here in North Wales which was why I was wondering.

It was reading John's book which got me thinking...:D

I'm growing Mainstay F1 for the first time. Anyone else grown this variety lately, what's it like?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 20:18 »
Several years ago I had a slight problem when I had grown an ordinary variety beside a Supersweet variety. Some of the individual kernels were a different shade of yellow, were tougher and not so sweet as others.
My take on growing sweetcorn is
There are three main different types of sweet corn generally available for culinary use, and they can come in early, mid-season or late varieties.  These are:-

Extra tender and Sweet (tendersweet) F1. The sweetest type with softer kernels. The catalogues claim that isolation of this type from other types of sweet corn, is not required.
I have not been able to confirm if this claim is true for the Extra tender and sweet type. There was a recent article in the Organic gardener confirming that separation was required for all types of sweetcorn. When I raised the claims relating to Extra tender and Sweet with them they said it was a load of !!!!
Also can be quick to mature and should be ready to harvest in September in the North of the UK, and this is the type that I would recommend.

Suggested varieties of Extra Tender and Sweet (tendersweet)

Swift F1.  Very early, very sweet and tender.

Lark F1.    Mid season, very sweet and tender.

Supersweets F1. A sweet type but more chewy. Isolation of this type required from other varieties.

Suggested varieties of Supersweets.

Extra early sweet.

Traditional open pollinated. Slow to mature and not really suited for the North of the UK.

xx
How many sweetcorn plants?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 22:52
by peterjf
xx
What to do with these sweetcorn plants?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2012, 13:25
by JayG
xx
Sweetcorn companion plants

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 18:40
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
large sweetcorn plants but hardly any cobs

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 23:44
by wil4025

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 36 queries.