Some assistance please

• 12 Replies

lightyears

Some assistance please
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:37 »
Ive been selected by my allotment comittee(out of the blue) to set up a local school allotment scheme with first and primary school kids. The plots will be in the school land but thats as much as i know at the moment, can anyone offer me any assistants on how to take this on? i will be working with children for 4 to 12 teaching all aspects of allotmentering and how to grow etc.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:45 by lightyears »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Re: Some assistance please
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:22 »
Ive been selected by my allotment comittee(out of the blue)

Forgive me if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but it reads as if you have been selected without your knowledge and agreement. I am afraid my first words to them would not be printable on here.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 13:01 »
I agree with Robbo - it sounds a bit odd. Our local Primary School, where I work does its' own veggie growing, as part of the Science curriculum. using teachers and parent helpers in the lunch hour. I think you need to liaise with the headteacher to discuss first things like being CRB checked, who is going to look after it for the 12 weeks a year there is no school (including the summer holidays of course, when most veggies are cropping).
Who is going to pay for the tools, seeds, compost & materials, ; how many children will you be expected to cope with, how often - : - believe me there'[s a world of difference doing a bit of gardening with reception kids, and trying to engage year 6 kids.
Will this be part of the curriculum, or is attendence voluntary?
Could you involve the PTA, or is the school expecting to fundraise through grants?
Sorry - more questions than answers, but i think you need to be sure the school knows what you are prepared to offer them and what you can expect of them by return.
There is very little "space" left in the primary school curriculum for"soft" activities, but it is making a comeback at KS3 (secondary) level education
HTH
JMW

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 13:44 »
special offer on seeds for schools here
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/795

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 15:31 »
I'm so glad we don't have a committee . . .
What has school got to do with allotment committees? Has the school approached the committee? Or the committee discussed this with the schol? If not, the committee seem to be getting way ahead of themselves.

My answer would be 'No' I have enough on my plate as it is! If you have the slightest misgiving over this I advise you to say the same.
They don't seem to have given you much information. I hope they aren't picking on you because you are one of those kind hearts who can't say no to helping someone out.
"Oh, lets get lightyears to do it he/she (sorry) is always doing things like this. "  :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Oscar Too

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 17:12 »
Hmm.

I would be very annoyed if my allotment committee "selected" me in that manner.  It sounds like the chose the person who wasn't at the meeting.

It may be that you are up for it and have loads of vim and experience, I don't know.  However, as noted above, there are lots of potential pitfalls.

Is there a budget?

Who will request the obligatory CRB check?

What part of the school's curriculum does it form?  What are their expectations and outcomes?

How much support will you get?  What authority do you have to sanction naughty kids?

Even if you WANT to do it, I would ask a lot more questions before you agree.

Oscar

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 17:55 »
Don't forget the insurance issue - if a child damages someone's plot, or is injured on site, whose insurance cover would it be?  Would you association be required to indemnify any school insurance if something happened to a child?

Also, who carries out the risk assessments?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lightyears

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 20:16 »
i think i should clarify things hear, i was selected because i asked to help but didnt think i would be picked due to the length of time i have held my allotment, as i said out of the blue. The crb is being payed for by the local group who is running the whole show, they are also providing insurence tools and any other things i need. just to clarify again, i volunteered but didnt think i would have been picked. I was mearly after some advice on how to present myself/idea's to the school and how to deal with a wide range of age and interest

the group running it is a comunity outreach group who has approached the allotments office and asked for help, the have a very clear idea what they want and who they want and the headteacher thought that i would be the better bet, the children involved are the kids who need a bit of a extra hand and they have decided(not me or the allotment people) this is the best way to do it.

i will go and see the outreach organizer and decided after then
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 20:20 by lightyears »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 22:59 »
I think the RHS runs a scheme for schools.

Might also be worth doing a search for similar threads as i know there have been some in the last few months

Mrs sawnee

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 19:21 »
Ive been selected by my allotment comittee(out of the blue) to set up a local school allotment scheme with first and primary school kids. The plots will be in the school land but thats as much as i know at the moment, can anyone offer me any assistants on how to take this on? i will be working with children for 4 to 12 teaching all aspects of allotmentering and how to grow etc.

My son's Junior school has gained Health Eating status and the Headteacher belongs to our local Allotment Society.  She has encouraged and included in the curriculum lessons on growing your own fruit and vegetables.  I run the school Parents Association and we were approached to purchase wood for some raised beds to be made up within the school grounds.   Now each class has been allocated some land to grow their own veggies.  Some parents go in to help out with the digging/advice etc but they MUST be CRB checked first.   Its amazing that some children do not know where veggies come from :ohmy:

To be honest, I think it is an issue for the school to sort out and then for them to ask for volunteers to help out on maybe a rota system.

I hope that this has been of some help.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 00:23 »
Hi lightyears,

Lucky you!!   I hope you had a say in whether or not you wanted to be working with children?

It could be a great experience if it's what you want to do - if it's not then I'd pretty quickly let someone know I had de-selected myself!!

If you are keen then:
I would imagine there will be someone in the school who can give you advice and pointers towards all sorts of information sources. Make an appointment and ask to talk to someone about the school's ideas (and who else is doing what as well as a budget!)

There are a number of books around which might be of use too.... an internet search might be helpful. Try something like "Plant it, Grow it, Eat it". I think there is a book by the same title.

The local library should be able to point you in the right direction.

RHS Wisley ran a course for people working with children - it was brilliant. Loads of practical ideas, activites and tips on growing quick crops to suit the school year and what to do with them once you had the crop to harvest.

If you are anywhere near RHS Wisley and the course is still running maybe the school would be willing to ask a member of staff to attend and you could accompany them.

Whatever happens I wish you luck but don't try and take on too much in one go.

Is this intended as an after-school club or will it take place during the school day? If it is the last of these two then the school should be able to provide some curriculum planning / guidance and ideas as well as a member of staff for support.

I'd defintiely get in touch with the school (or ask someone from the Allotment committe to do this on your behalf) so that you can develop a clearer idea of what the school has in mind.

One last thing: If you are working with children you may need (if you have not got this) a level of clearance for working with young persons (CRB check). This depends upon if you are likely to be working on your own with children. Again - the school should be able to provide all the information that you need.

It'd be good to know how you get on. Keep us posted, please. :) It could be great fun but remember to say "No" if it begins to take over or is not what you want. ;)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joybell

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 13:44 »
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/schools_organic_network/index.php

Some brilliant  advice on this website!Good luck!

xx
New to allotments, have plan but would like some assistance.

Started by dant19 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 08:17
by cadalot

Page created in 0.845 seconds with 38 queries.