To spud or not to spud.

• 8 Replies

Lardman

To spud or not to spud.
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:42 »
Not a which is best question - honest  ;)

Last year my spuds (Desiree , Charlotte, PFA and Anya) were such a disappointment, blight, VERY bad scab and slug damage that I thought I wouldn't bother this year. 

Before I give up completely, can anyone suggest a something that might like the conditions - soil is still poor, very sandy my test kit suggests acidic (I thought scab was a problem if it was too alkaline though?)  and its on a north facing slope.   dont ask for a lot do I  ::) :tongue2:

Salmo

Re: To spud or not to spud.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:32 »
RHS advice on powdery scab
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0902/potato_skin.asp

This says that infection occurs just as the tubers form. It suggests ensuring there is plenty of water at this stage, applying plenty of organic matter, planting clean seed and selecting scab resistant varieties. Desiree is suseptible to scab.

Where the scab lesions are the skin is thin and slugs can get in easily.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:28 »
I had a bad year with spuds last year, first time with them, but I'm hoping it was just a bad year, (and will avoid untested manure too) and am growing even more this year! 
True, this next lot will be on the lottie not at home, but that's only for reasons of rotation, and not having enough space for everything at home.

Carrots are supposed to like sandy soil.  ::) ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 19:44 »
Last year was pretty bad for blight and slugs!  There are two sorts of scab, by the way: one is the normal one, and is worse on dry, alkaline soils, but the rarer sort (sort of papery and dusty-looking) likes the wet.  Both are soil-borne, so ideally you want to use a different bed this year (come to think of it, so's blight - use a different bed!).  Some varieties have some resistance, and you can look up the ones you're thinking about in the BPC database: http://varieties.potato.org.uk/quick_search.php

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 22:53 »
Thanks all.

I'll give it one last go with something more scab resistant.  I think it may just need a few more years worth of organic matter in the soil though  :(

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 23:40 »
My regime for potatoes:
Dig over the strip in the autumn, spread a load of muck on a few weeks later - just leave it on the top and dont dig in - the weather and worms do the rest over the winter - end of feb / early march fork it over lightly - spread some chicken pellets on at the same time and then when weather permits plant out in March.....
Usually get a good crop - tried Swift last year for the first time - yield was a bit disappointing and noticed more slug damage, but that seemed about general - i think  we did not have enough rain at the right times.... 
Death OR Cake ???

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:21 »
May be worth trying nematodes on your plot if you have slug problems. The damage is caused by small black slugs underground not big ones that you can see on surface.

Cooperman I had a poor crop from swift last year too.

Best bet is to try a variety of spuds and see which do well on your soil. Still can't beat magic of digging up fresh spuds from your own plot!!

Good luck

HH :)  
Keep digging

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:09 »
We have very sandy soil, the whole area is re-claimed beach. Pentland javlin are good on sandy soil with only a trace of scab on the odd ones. All maincrop I have grown have scab but to be honest, I cant see what the problem is, all my veg looks the same once through the digestive system. 
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Hawkins

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 16:52 »
I grow mine in car tyres, leaves more room in the ground for other things ( were short on space)  I love digging up the first spuds its like finding gold. and the taste is amazing. last year was the first year we grew them mind.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

xx
Top spud tip

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 20:46
by gobs
xx
Oh spud!

Started by Mash Mad on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 19:52
by SG6
xx
spud me like................

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 22:46
by mrpotatohead
xx
Spud-U-Like

Started by Jabba2006 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2007, 10:51
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 37 queries.