minty recipies please

• 17 Replies

James

• Experienced Member
minty recipies please
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 09:56 »
Quote from: "tetley"
hi there......has anyone made mint jelly?

Try googling 'mint jelly recipe'.  Try this one http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/JamsJelliesPreserves/Savory/CERTOMintJelly.html

As for the courgette glut, take the marrow-sized ones and place them on the compost heap (save the seeds if you wish).  Take the courgette-sized ones and give them to your neighbour.  Then remove the finger-sized ones from the plant, and steam them gently for 5 minutes or so, and lo! there you have baby vegetables.  £25/kg at Borough market; glut problem solved.

Laura

• http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com
minty recipies please
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 22:40 »
Here's a recipie i found for mint jelly, seems like a lot of work though, why not just chop up lots of mint, put it in the biggest jug you can find, throw in a handful of sugar and cover it with bacardi...leave it to infuse for a couple of hours and pour it over crushed ice.   mmmm vive le Mojito as Che Guevara might have said (but didn't!)

INGREDIENTS: Cooking apples - 2.3 kg (5 lb), Water - 1.1 litres (2 pints), Fresh mint - a few large sprigs plus 6-8 tbsp chopped, Distilled malt vinegar - 1.1 litres (2 pints), Sugar.

COOKING: 1. Remove any bruised or damaged portions from the apples and roughly chop them into thick chunks without peeling or coring. Put them in a preserving pan with the water and the mint sprigs. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 45 minutes, until the fruit is soft and pulpy. Stir from time to time to prevent sticking. Add the vinegar and boil for a further 5 minutes.
2. Spoon the apple pulp into a jelly bag or cloth attached to the legs of an upturned stool, and leave to strain into a large bowl for at least 12 hours. Do not squeeze.
3. Discard the pulp remaining in the jelly bag. Measure the extract and return it to the pan with 450 g (1 lb) sugar for each 600 ml (1 pint) extract.
4. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, then boil rapidly for about 10 minutes. Test for a set and, when the setting point is reached, remove the pan from the heat. Skim the surface with a slotted spoon.
5. Stir in the chopped mint. Allow to cool slightly, then stir well to distribute the mint. Pot and cover the jelly.
optimism is the main ingredient in any recipe for disaster
see allotment pics at:  myspace.com/laurahuntley

tetley

• Experienced Member
minty recipies please
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 20:58 »
:lol:  thanks for the recipe...it does look like alot of work!!! i think i might have to wait until a return trip to england :oops: and go to the supermarket or my hubby will have to make do with mint sauce.....
but the bacardi recipe looks good, I might just have to try that!!....I don't know what this says about me, but I seem to be preserving all our fruit in alcohol 8)

xx
Egg Recipies

Started by cejx on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 08:36
by Debsie
xx
Val's Recipies

Started by Aunt Sally on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 16:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Muntjac's Recipies

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

61 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 23:57
by mushroom
xx
What are your Top 10 Slow Cooker recipies?

Started by FCG on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

27 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 06:28
by Bozwell

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.