Hard weekends work

• 5 Replies

Petrova

Hard weekends work
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:58 »
Hiya,

Got started on some of the really hard graft this weekend just gone (and monday too as my partner was off work)
The shed was/is currently a tip and at the front of it were 2 HUGE bushes. In my before picture - at the right hand side of the shed was an enormous buddlea bush, it was pretty much almost the height of the house, in my before pic it's a stump which has now totally gone!  The other bush that can still be seen was a totally wild overgrown philadelphus (well, so I'm told that's what it is/was) and is now just a stump (damn, that's the hardest bit! )
The shed (which is awful and has been ever since I've known OH) has also, as of sunday arvo, had most of it's bargeboard stripped, the sill wirebrushed ready to be filled and repainted and new bargeboard to go on. Still needs the moss scrubbing off one corner.

Our plan is to level the ground ready for resowing the grass in April (after the extension's finished), I'd really like a sun-porch (as that bit of the garden gets full sun from about 3pm onwards) built onto the shed facing into the garden, with a double chair swing and a chimnea (well I can dream!) but for the time being (or until I've persuaded OH) we will have dwarf fruit trees and maybe some fruit bushes in pots along that front line of the shed.
The before pic was taken this morning, the after - sunday afternoon. Feeling quite pleased with ourselves - one big step closer to the dream
Before.JPG
After.JPG

Trillium

Re: Hard weekends work
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 20:01 »
Is the shed at your own property or at a plot?
Dreams are what you make them, and sadly hard work is usually the only way. Hats off to you for salvaging the shed rather than tearing it down and adding to the public waste. Will need pix of the finished shed area  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 20:09 »
Very impressive, well done  :)

bet it looks a lot lighter and bigger now
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Petrova

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:14 »
Thanks  :D It's our own shed and this is our back garden. We plan to do our veggies over the other side of the garden, to the right of the shed - will post some piccies when we get started, need to get the building work out of the way first). Am waiting for some seed potatoes to be delivered (in those barrel things) and have started some tomato seeds indoors.
Just waiting for some dry weather to fill and paint the window sills and treat the existing bargeboards - do you reckon it's ok (when it's dried out and been treated) to use the left over feather boards from the fence to go over the existing bargeboards?

Also, am I being too ambitious to hope to grow a grape-vine up the right hand side of the shed and and (hopefully) grow it across the roof line? Anyone know of an easy (if there is such a thing) grow grape-vine? <she says hopefully!> :blink:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 15:43 »
I've no idea what feather boards are as it's not a term we have here, but if the wood is solid and you think you have enough, go for it. I probably would. It's amazing how sometimes being thrifty turns out nicer than if you'd bought new wood.

As for the grapevine, I wouldn't recommend it on the shed. Mostly, when it fruits, how would you pick any grapes on the roof and without possibly damaging roof boards? If you couldn't reach those fruits, they'd rot and possibly get under the shingles or draw a lot of birds (and poop) and create a big mess. Mainly, if you want good fruit from a grape vine, it needs regular pruning which would keep it within a 4 ft (1.3M) height. If you're really keen on something nice on the shed, I'd recommend a non-invasive but useful vine like cultivated honeysuckle. It's pretty, doesn't damage structure or surfaces (but does need vertical support) and it will attract a lot of bees which will help pollinate your crops better. Hummingbirds will also come to feed and they alone are worth the plant price.

treacleminer

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 16:16 »
. Hummingbirds will also come to feed and they alone are worth the plant price.

:D :D :D :D :D
What a lovely thought - but maybe a bit optimistic for East Anglia :)

xx
How hard can you clip box

Started by Spana on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 18:53
by Spana
xx
How Hard can grass be?>???????

Started by Derek.laurence on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 09:23
by Derek.laurence
xx
Can you hard prune a Hebe?

Started by Zippy on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 17:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Hard pruning a rose in Summer

Started by hasbeans on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2024, 07:30
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 42 queries.