Onions

• 5 Replies

Onions

Onions
« on: February 16, 2009, 17:37 »
My First post here, hello everyone

How long do onions last after harvesting? I understand that I have to dry them once harvested, but how long will they last once I have done this?

Many Thanks

Tristan
Watford

penance

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 17:46 »
Much depends on variety and storage method.

Some store better than others.

I grew Hytech last year, a tasteles hybrib variety. Still storing ok tho.
Have also grown setton which I will be growing again this year. Stored in a dark cool frost free place and they were ok for around 8 months.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 21:52 »
I had Red Baron (which isn't meant to be a good storing variety) through until New Year, when they started sprouting.  My mother is still eating her proper storing sorts now - I think they'll run out before they sprout.

alfman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 16:09 »

I grew Kelsae last year and over wintered them in my cold greenhouse with a light open for air movement and I'm still eating them.

SSM

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 16:16 »
I grow a mixture of sets and seed onions, which are lifted around the second week of August. Leave onions out to dry until flags have dried like straw, remove flags and store .

Mine are stored in a cool frost free shed, with little if any light, normally last from August to the end of April.

Hope this is of some use.

Lynne

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 17:13 »
I grow a mixture of sets and seed onions, which are lifted around the second week of August. Leave onions out to dry until flags have dried like straw, remove flags and store .

Mine are stored in a cool frost free shed, with little if any light, normally last from August to the end of April.

Hope this is of some use.

Same here but I put mine into nets and hang them in the garage. I think it will be the one crop we won't have finished eating before I can grow some more. They have kept really well - Sturon was the variety.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 28 queries.