Egg incubation question

• 6 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Egg incubation question
« on: February 16, 2009, 16:32 »
Hello everyone.

As you know i'm a total amatuer to all this.  Anyway, now that our cockerel is getting very amorous with the ladies I thought I'd pop a couple of eggs in the incubator.  I really didn't think anything would happen so a couple of days later popped a few more in (I know, I know, stupid me!).

Turns out they're all fertile so I'm not sure what to do now.  I mean should I take one batch out?  Or will it be ok to stop turning some whilst i'm still turning others?

What do you think?

Vember

Re: Egg incubation question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 16:50 »
If your manually turning Fifi then I can't see any reason to keep both lots on the go :)
They'll be what 2 days behind the first lot? Of course there are no guarantees that the first lot will hatch on time, so they might all hatch together anyway :lol:

If you know which are which I say go for it :D

Sarah :)

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 18:48 »
It's not ideal Fifitrix because of the increase in humidity required around day 18/19 for the first lot may well drown the later ones in shell. )On the other hand if you leave the umidity lower until day 18/19 for the lqater ones the first lot may not be able to break out. I would leave the humidity low until you see the first one pipping then increase it by placing more water in the trays. This will leave it until  the very last moment for your earlier eggs.

Good luck and keep us posted with your results.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 20:11 »
fifi they will be absolutely fine. im always popping new ones in, no point in wasting space.

ive found that the exact science of incubation is a total crock.

i keep my temp at as close to 100 as i can. and come a couple of days before hatch i put some water in. my incubator is round so those due to hatch i keep in the centre, above the water reservouir (spelling)

so far ive had a fabulous hatch rate and strong healthy chicks.

as long as you keep it clean and disinfected you'll be fine.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 21:30 »
Well thank you very much and nice to hear from you all.  I think I'll take your advice and try to keep the humidity as low as possible for as long as possible.

Really I don't have a lot to loose whilst I have my hens producing eggs a plenty and can't get rid of our lovely randy boy.   :blink: :blush: :D.  I can always try again.

......  now anyone want my cockerel?????? ::)

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 21:39 »
i put duck eggs and silkie eggs and a random hen egg in mine, we candled them on day 4 and discarded 3 ducky's and replaced them with three more, candled them tonight and it appears they are all fertile, don't know what i'll do when they start hatching all over the place, but the last lot took 3 day's from the first to the last so i don't think it'll make much difference, keep us updated with your lot and i'll keep you updated with mine, good luck.

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 14:44 »
Hi all

This is really useful advice as I am about to pop some more eggs in one of my incubators which are a couple of days behind the others.  Fingers crossedx

I get very confuzzled with the humidity stuff.  I have a couple of incubators and there seems to be conflicting advice on what to do but I seem to have a good success rate :-)

My problem now is brooding chicks of different ages and dealing with the ones my incredibly broody silkies have hatched.  I'm quite possibly going to go mad!

Have decided need to keep lists and am going to attach labels to my incubators!!!!
Mad chicken woman

xx
Incubation question

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 18:46
by maggiem
xx
Why 21 days? Incubation question

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 12:27
by splash101
xx
Incubation

Started by chicksforkicks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2007, 11:20
by psipower
question
incubation

Started by waffles on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 14:00
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 36 queries.