Crest fallen newby

• 20 Replies

Carol

Re: Crest fallen newby
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 21:59 »
Like you I've got broad beans, onions, garlic and peas in.  They seem to be fine, just do what you think best, but be prepared to sow again later if they fail.  If you speak to 10 different gardeners you'll probably be given 10 different lots of advice!

One of my plot neighbours seems to dig the whole plot over and plant absolutely everything at once direct in the ground at end of April/beginning May, and has brilliant crops - but to my mind it dilutes the pleasure - I enjoy going there and doing a little and often.  I also enjoy looking after the seedlings at home when I can't get to the plot.

Carol.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

pete

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 11:47 »
Newby,

When I had my original allotment, the site with the body in that was all over the papers a while back (Wife went missing in West London after taking her kids to school and body found burnt on an allotment site - five plots up from mine!!) , the old boys used to say things like that for fun. I had the self elected committee tell me that at 25 (which i was at that point) i shouldnt have an allotment - it was for OLD PEOPLE!!

I seem to remember telling him to go forth and multiply (just not as politely - they were weary of me. They knew I worked for the council, just didnt know what I actually did. They also knew I worked with all of the council staff who controlled/owned the allotments. When they used to visit they would all come and see me and have tea and have a laugh - which urked the old boys who thought they actually ran the site, not the council!!) and he said the similar thing to me about planting out at this time of year. He came back and complimented me later on for the crop, which he was dultifully reminded was planted out "early." Needless to say he stomped off with his tail between his legs.

Sometimes people are vindictive for the sake of it. What does he have growing at the moment?

Keep your spirit up, ask him what he thinks you should be doing at this time of year. You could always plant a few out as a test and hold some back. You have to work out if he's being nasty or genuinely concerned.

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 18:06 »
I can remember thinking 25 was ancient when I was 15! That was 40 years ago so now it all depends where you are viewing from!

Age isn't something that makes a person anything at all apart from older. The youngest can be arrogant, selfish and thoughtless as well as those many, many times older. But all of us can be reasonable if we want, I reckon.

Age is not an excuse it's a state of mind :wacko:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

pete

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 20:22 »
Learner,

Totally agree but my original site was like someone had taken all the grumpy old men, dodgy old geezers, a couple of dope smokin jamaicans and dropped them all on one allotment site - then that was our site and the moanin was unbelievable!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 20:28 »
Learner,

Totally agree but my original site was like someone had taken all the grumpy old men, dodgy old geezers, a couple of dope smokin jamaicans and dropped them all on one allotment site - then that was our site and the moanin was unbelievable!!

I think I'd have worn my walkman and smiled whilst ignoring everyone!! 8)

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 20:34 »
Coltar, wait until you get to the 'Youse' stage   >:( I really hate that one and its used around here far too often, usually by people who never did figure out what school was for.

As for when to plant, all experienced gardeners became experienced because we all learned through the 'what not to do again' school of mistakes. My old alma mater  :tongue2:

xx
My cabbage have all fallen over

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 09:49
by Beetroot queen
xx
Fallen leaves

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 12:48
by viettaclark
xx
Fallen fruit

Started by blackhobbescat on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 20:06
by muntjac
xx
My onions have fallen over..... now what

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 19:11
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 36 queries.