PUT TO SLEEP.....Hole In Her Crop?......My girl Has been attacked

• 62 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
She was the first chicken I got and was one of two who survived the first hunting dog attack.  She was a lovely girl, always clean and tidy looking and keen for any titbits.  She will be sorely missed.

I feel a lot of guilt because I am very undecided on the ethics of euthanasia and I am left with the doubt of if I made the right decision.  Theres always a chance that she could have survived, people defy science and doctors every day, but on the other hand, if she really did have no chance, would I be racked with misery and guilt watching her body eat itself away.

It's hard isnt it.  We have to trust vets and doctors because they know more than us, but I have that niggling doubt in my mind.

Theres no going back, so lets just hope it was the right thing to do.  Sorry to add a downer to everyones night.  I have to go on a training course for 2 hours tonight which I dont really feel like, so if I dont reply I'm not being rude.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Foxy

Pookey, oh I am so sorry big hugs, you did absolutely everything you could of done and then some. :(
Go on, have a another piece of lemon cake, you deserve it diet can wait.

shiatsusu

From what you've said it sounds like the diagnosis was pretty definate. If it's any consolation or comfort I would have done the same thing.  :blush:

betty

• Experienced Member
ahh Pokey :(  I feel so sad.  This has brought some real tears to my eyes.  I have followed your sad story daily, and I did hope for a good out come.  I am truly sorry for your bird.  We know she is resting peacefully now.  Lots of hugs and kisses from  yf Betty in the USA

poultrygeist

Really sorry Pookey. :(

You did all you could and you made the right decision. No-one would have done different.

I just hope the people responsible will one day discover the value of life.

Rob

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Oh, please don't worry about your diet at a time like this!  I am so very sorry for your loss.  That poor little girl really fought a hard battle and it was just too much for her in the end.  Darn hunting dog!  Please don't feel guilty because you are mourning a beloved pet.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

andreadon

• My Diary
I'm really sorry and sad to hear that.
You did the right thing - it wouldn't have been good for her or for you to keep her alive if she was just going to die in pain.
She's better now.
Big hugs.
xxxxxxx

agapanthus

A very sad ending....I'm so sorry :(

Hawkins

sending big hugs from here, you did all you could and more. we all would have done the same.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

too many girls

oh Pookey, what a sad ending, i was really hoping things would work out for you, don't beat yourself up over this, i would have done the same, she was a much loved chicken, she doesn't know about the ethics of euthenasia, her injuries were too severe to recover from, at least you did all you could, and, making the desicion,  ultimately saved her from a painful and slow death, well done you.

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
 :( Aaaahhhh Pookey i am so so so sorry.When we lost our brand new hen two weeks ago i told my children that she had gone to 'hen heaven', so at least she has a friend! Her name was florence, they can meet up together! It sounds like you have done an awful lot of running about, try to take it easy and enjoy your other girls. Sending you and yours fondest thoughts. Kind regards HENrietta. ;)
Live, Love and Laugh!

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
What a sad story.  I'm so very sorry for you and your little hen  :(  You tried so hard for her!  The pics were just terrible - but I shan't rant as I'd like to.  Just wanted to offer some sympathy.
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

pushrod

Sorry to hear your chicken did not survive Pookey - could i ask how much the vet charged?
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
I'm sorry to hear of this, You did the right thing for your hen.

pookey

• Experienced Member
Sorry to hear your chicken did not survive Pookey - could i ask how much the vet charged?

The vet charged ten pounds to put her to sleep and take care of her remains.  All in all it cost me 28 pounds.

I have been out in the garden having a good dig today, my other chickens have been literally sat of the fork waiting for worms, cheered me up anyway.

Thanks for everyones kind words, alot of people think were daft getting so attached to our pets but I wouldnt have it any other way!  :)

sad
Help ! Prolapse girl has been attacked

Started by Basil_UK on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
how much sleep??

Started by kellym on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 16:45
by evie2
xx
How old should ducklings be before they sleep outside?

Started by christinao on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 20:23
by christinao
xx
How many hens can sleep in this?

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 06, 2017, 11:14
by New shoot

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.