PUT TO SLEEP.....Hole In Her Crop?......My girl Has been attacked

• 62 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
One of my chickens has been atacked, possibly by a dog (hunting dog) as they were running next to my house today although I didnt see the attack
Anyway, her neck is totally bear of any feathers and all wounded and blooming and orangy looking.  There is a chance it could of happened before today as I have an automatic door opener/closer and dont count them each day.  She has wounds at the sides of her body to and is just hiding in trees.  I made a temporary house for her in a little shed to keep her away from the other girls who seem to be smelling the blood and getting ready for a taste, but when I tried to pick her up she went frantic and screamed, so I have just put her in a nest box in the main house with mesh over the front so no one can get her.

I dont know what to do, is there something I can spray on her to avoid infection.  I have detol antisceptic and some pink concentrate cleaner from the vets from when my cat was in a fight but I thought they would really sting considering its half her body.  My vets isnt open till Tuesday.   :(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 17:17 by pookey »
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Vember

Re: My girl Has been attacked - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 20:15 »
OOh Pookey  :(

I really don't know what's the best thing to suggest.

Think my first action would be to wash it all down clip any feathers so you can see what is what ???

Some vets have a nurse or someone on call, could you not ring for advice as to what you can put on?

Really is hard to say with out seeing it.

So Sorry

Sarah x

Vember

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 20:21 »
Just found this thread, the post by Munty has good info in re germolene

Don't know if it'll help  ???
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=18223.msg222767#msg222767

Sarah :)

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 20:30 »
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 20:32 »
oh the poor thing! and what a shock to find her like that :(

I would go with germolene or savlon. Gently clean with warm saline and then apply a layer of antiseptic cream. She will have exposed nerve endings which will be very painful so dont apply any harsh lotions or antiseptic lotions. The ointments  like savlon and germolene will be soothing and provide a barrier against infection. Shock will kill birds -so keep her warm and quiet in a box somewhere.

Good luck with her!

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 20:36 »
 i have just found a grubby sticky tube of germolene in the bottom of the medicine basket.  I will try that tomorrow - just looked at use by date 2002!  May need some fresh stuff but it still smells good and is white, it will do till I get the vets as I have no car till Monday, hubby is away from 5am tomorrow

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 20:38 »
Hi Pookey,

look here specifically at dog bites:-

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2003/november/Cousquer/Avian-Wound-Management-Part-2.html#

Allan

Good article Allan!

Using Germolene or savlon will achieve similar results -as basically moist dressings provide the ideal healing enviroment for would healing,therefore encouraging granulation.
Steri-strips or "butterfly" stitches I would use to try and close deeper wounds if possible. Opsites great stuff for preventing infection and you just leave the stuff on.
Ideally get her to the vets for a course of antibiotics as a dogs mouth could be harbouring lots of nasties!

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 20:50 »
Thank you for the fast advice, I now have more hope that she could pull through after reading the posts and articles, I was assuming the worst earlier.

I will check her out again in the morning and put on the germolene.  If I can, I will get a photo to include with my update.  SHould I keep her locked in the coup, or let her have access to outside if she wants to?

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 20:56 »
Keep her quiet and warm if you possibly can as she will be suffering from shock. Definitely don't let any other birds near her as they will peck at any red areas and could kill her.

If she was attacked by the local hunt claim compensation. They allow for accidents.

Allan

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 21:11 »
Keep her quiet and warm if you possibly can as she will be suffering from shock. Definitely don't let any other birds near her as they will peck at any red areas and could kill her.

If she was attacked by the local hunt claim compensation. They allow for accidents.

Allan

Last time they tresspassed and killed my birds my 2 year old son saw his pets get ripped apart and it traumatised him severely.  He still panics when he hears the dogs and has nightmares of foxes (he thinks they were foxes).  The hunt thought it was perfectly fine to just bring up 3 new birds, legally we couldnt do anything as the hunt is ireland based and we are 10 meters over the border in Northern Ireland, international red tape.  We have even tried the dog warden to stop them coming and he said we cant do anything to stop them either.  A local farmer shot one of the dogs for tormenting calfing mothers on his PRIVATE property and was arrested for doing so.  We are very frustrated and helpless.  It is pointless to discuss the hunting side of it as this chat board is about poultry and the thread will be deleted if it escalates into a hunting debate.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:11 »
I have just been out to her and put on the germolene, she make a few attempts at escape and seems perky considering.  I managed to get hold of her to put the cream on and have took some photos and put her in her own little shed.  It doesnt have a door so Ive put some plywood a few feet high to shelter the wind, and then a big wire panel over to protect her from intruders.  I will add some cardboard later for warmth

shiatsusu

Re: My girl Has been attacked - PHOTOS ADDED
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:07 »
oh poor love, that looks so nasty. Hope she will be ok. Pookey the best thing to clean and sterilise any wound without messing up the skin's own healing processes and risking scar tissue developing is saline solution- boil some water, stir in the salt until it's dissolved, let it cool then gently dab it on. You could also spritz tea tree oil mixed in water over her too as that is a strong antiseptic.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:01 »
Just been looking at the awfull picks of your poor hen.  As stated before just use saline solution.  Make new batch every other day to keep liquid sterile.  Dab on with cotton wool being carefull not to leave any cotton in wounds.  This can be done twice a day.  Don't be tempted to use germaline or such like as this is not good for most animals.  It gets sticky and attracts more dirt into the wound.  The skin will gradually rebuild it's self even though it looks bad at the moment stick with it!  You will be shocked at the results as the skin dries and makes new skin.  I have cleaned many injuries using this method on rabbits, dogs cats etc and hens.  Keep her away from others at the moment as other hens will be very attracted to her open wounds and it will take longer to heal if at all.  They have been known to kill wounded birds by totally pestering them so she needs healing time on her own.  You can reintroduce her at a later date ok.  Good luck with it all!! :)
mrs.ploppy

too many girls

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 13:44 »
  oh the poor girl, i'm afraid she will need atibiotics, especialy from a dog bite, my Pauline got attacked by a fox, we didn't think she would survive (neither did the vet) her wounds got infected and full of maggots (pip and i sat and picked them out daily) we used the blue spray and antibiotics and she made a full recovery, i hope your girl does too.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 14:11 »
I will clean and spray and hopefully she will be okay.  I have some antibiotics already so I'll start her on them, I'll have to find the diddy syringe.  Poor girl

sad
Help ! Prolapse girl has been attacked

Started by Basil_UK on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
how much sleep??

Started by kellym on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 16:45
by evie2
xx
Can my girls sleep outside now?

Started by MellowYellow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 20:08
by MellowYellow
xx
How old should ducklings be before they sleep outside?

Started by christinao on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 20:23
by christinao

Page created in 0.563 seconds with 38 queries.