PUT TO SLEEP.....Hole In Her Crop?......My girl Has been attacked

• 62 Replies

Foxy

Re: Hole In Her Crop?......My girl Has been attacked - PHOTOS ADDED
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 21:07 »
Dont worry Pookey, the crop is just a bag -the vet will just put a couple of stiches in. I wouldn't massage it though. If you can, try and get an early appt and starve her first. Keep it nice and clean in the meantime. :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 21:12 »
Sorry pookey. Didn't have my thinking head on.  ::)

Like Foxy says, it's a routine op to open up the crop so should be no prob to clean it and close it up.

Poor little thing prob wondered what was happening. Kept eating and still hungry. :(

Rob 8)

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 21:15 »
Maybe she got caught up in the size zero hype  :blush:  Or is starving herself to make sure she doesnt go to the table for dinner (I'm vegetarian so shes safe)!!!!

On a serious note, will she be getting water?
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Foxy

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 21:16 »
Sorry pookey. Didn't have my thinking head on.  ::)

Like Foxy says, it's a routine op to open up the crop so should be no prob to clean it and close it up.

Poor little thing prob wondered what was happening. Kept eating and still hungry. :(

Rob 8)

bit like a gastric band? :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 21:17 »
Can just see on the front cover of slimming world magazine. Looking proud in her swimsuit.  ::)

I bet she'll enjoy her weetabix once some of it gets to her stomach !  :D

Foxy

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 21:24 »
Actually I wasnt thinking either ! ???-bit late tonight to arrange a vets appt for tommorrow morning! Keep it clean -do you have any steri strips? You will be able to get from the chemist I am sure. These are just paper stitches and should help until you get to the vets. Trim the feathers away first. They may have something like "op-site spray" which is a sticky spray which may help the steri-strips stick to the skin or might work just on its own. :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 21:27 »
Or just a plaster and a spot of germolene/savlon ???

Just something to keep it clean and soothe it a bit. Tea tree cream may be better.

Rob

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 21:37 »
I have to ring the vets at 9am to find out if the vet will be in, I'm in farming country so vets are out on farms most the time.  I might have to drop her in and pick her up later.  Sounds mean but vets is 15 miles away and I have to drop my son off at school at 9.30 (8 miles away) then head on to town where the vets is (another 8 miles) to take my other son to a play morning and pick up some shopping, then drive the 16 miles back to pick conor up at 12pm.  I will then have to do another 30 mile round trip to pick her up.   Being an at home Mum is a doddle :happy:

agapanthus

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2009, 00:40 »
The poor girl .....she really has been through the wars:( I'm sure with all this love and attention she'll pull through!! :D

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2009, 08:54 »
Hi Pookey i am not giving you any advice as i am still a novice at henning! But i just want to say i hope your little lady pulls through, it sounds awful and the photos made my daughter and i feel very sad for you all. You have got the patience of a saint and you really deserve to have her pull through. We are in the middle of introducing two new hens to our two older girls and i am finding that so stressful :ohmy:! So i can only just imagine what you are going through. We really hope everything is fine, take care and keep us all informed.

Kind regards HENrietta :)
Live, Love and Laugh!

shiatsusu

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 11:21 »
Hope you managed to get her to the VET ok this morning and that the news was good- I'm sending her some positive healing from the new forest x

Jellyhead

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 15:21 »
Me too from over here ;) I hope she is ok Pookey :) 
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 17:16 »
Sorry news Im afraid.

I droped her in the vets and called back 2 hours later and they said she had 2 major wounds and they were too badly infected to sew up, and her stomach was injured and once the infection got in her stomach she would be in agony.  They said she couldnt keep any food down and was due for a painfull slow death.  I asked if she had any chance of getting through and healing on her own and they said no, her wounds and infection are too severe.

I was taken by surprise, I thought she would be coming home, I was really shocked.  I just gave her a hug and a kiss (which she stayed still for surprisingly) and went out the room while they did it. 

I am gutted to say the least, the poor thing fought for a good few days all for nothing.  If the first vet would have found the wounds maybe something could have been done. 

The diet has been blown Ive already had 2 pieces of lemon cake, cheese pasty chips and beans, lemon yoghurt and icecream.  Feel pretty sick and still feel sad.

Vember

Oh Pookey

I'm so so sorry :(

Sending you a HUGE HUG xxx

Sarahx

shiatsusu

Oh Pookey I'm so so sorry. You know you did everything you possibly could - you gave her a chance then followed up with two vets so you definately covered all the bases. Better she's out of pain now if there was no hope of recovery. Thinking of you this evening x

sad
Help ! Prolapse girl has been attacked

Started by Basil_UK on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
how much sleep??

Started by kellym on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 16:45
by evie2
xx
Can my girls sleep outside now?

Started by MellowYellow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 20:08
by MellowYellow
xx
How old should ducklings be before they sleep outside?

Started by christinao on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 20:23
by christinao

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.