hello to everyone and a potato question (again)

• 7 Replies

laalaa

« on: March 10, 2007, 18:49 »
Allright, i wanted to start by saying hello to everyone on here, as i'm a new user! So hello! and i'm so happy to have found a source of so much wisdom!
I have a bit of experience in growing vegetables, because i've always grown tomatoes, and squash, and lots of herbs, with some other things thrown in from time to time. I'm on a waiting list for an allotment site, but in the meantime I grow in my back garden, a very small plot. I have decided to have a potato bed this year, and I have not grown potatoes before. I hear it's quite easy, but I don't know a thing about them except what i've read so far. My question is just how much sunlight the potato will require? The spot I thought of using for a potato bed, I decided today may be too shaded. It will get a bit more sun in the summer when the sun is higher, but right now it gets very little because there is a small wall blocking the sun. The greenery would be taller than the wall when it grows, but i wonder if i shouldn't try to build a quite tall raised bed, and get it the same height as the wall, and therefore getting more light in...?
another option are the potato grow bags that you can buy in garden centres now. has anyone had any experience with these, and would they be worth trying?
any advice is appreciated,
laalaa
laalaa

trying to be organic, but it's very frustrating

WG.

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 18:55 »
Hello and welcome Tellytubbie

Potatoes thrive in full sun but IMHO conversely they won't take full advantage of a raised bed.  Maybe you could grow a maincrop variety with taller foliage?    What variety of seed do you have?

And, yes you can grow in bags (any bags) but an early variety will give better results since they give smaller plants.

laalaa

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 19:00 »
well, in my excitement i bought 2 varieties. i have maris peer for earlies, i think they're second earlies? and i bought santes for a main crop. i could give up growing corn and put the potatoes there instead, but i LOVE my corn. but would get so much more potatoes?? decisions, decisions...

laalaa,
i'm not really a teletubby, just a nickname..

WG.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 19:13 »
Problem goes away if you get an allotment, eh!

Maris peer into bags, no problem.   You've then got a few weeks to decide where to put the Sante (not a variety I know).   If you get an allotment, the tatties will do a good job at cleaning it up for you.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 20:59 »
Hi Laalaa and welcome to the site, we used to make Laalaa pie for a kids when they was little  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Annie

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 21:41 »
Hi Laalaa,welcome :D

frazzy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 21:43 »
hiya Laalaa i hope   you get a plot soon .
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 23:52 »
Hi laalaa

Keep these on your windowsill till you get your plot  :D

xx
Another potato question

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 07:34
by chris23005
xx
Potato question

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 18:50
by Trillium
xx
Potato question

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 23:02
by Swing Swang
xx
Potato question

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 16:48
by aelf

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 36 queries.