being picked on

• 8 Replies

karlooben

being picked on
« on: February 12, 2009, 17:39 »
for the past 2 nights as i put the girls to bed it seems that one of the hunches rite down low as if scared an 1 or 2 of the other girls peck her i don really get to see them during the day until weekends but when i have seen them everything seems fine , if shes ill would the other girls sense this an peck her although she seems really fine an they are all eating well.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

Re: being picked on
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 18:29 »
Do her wings kind of flatten outwards too ??
Maybe she thinks one of them is a cockerel and is waiting for it to mount her ???

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 18:33 »
i think they do in a way but the other girl was pecking her head . and as i went to seprate them the one who was being pecked seemed to run of as if to say what ya doing and then seems scared to go need the others .

so far there as been no evidence of any wounds or blood anywhere, i do know some animals { sen it in horses quite a lot } that if one is ill others of the same breed will pick on that animal.
someone once told me thats thier way of helping that animal to die ...??

Vember

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 18:50 »
Quite agree Looby animals do pick up on these things :(

If there are no signs of blood or wounds then there isn't really much you can do :( Suppose it's just the case that she is lowest of the order :(
My girls sometimes peck each other on the head especially if they want to get at food & the others in the way :lol:

Best thing you can do is keep a close eye :)

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 18:58 »
maybe she is close to the bottom of the pecking order but not as low as my maran girlie  poor poor thing at times i have thought about rehoming her  :(. although shes got a good weight to her an shes growing well i dont think the others let her eat much  sometimes now i find her in the house on her own trying to get any food that has been left on the floor under the straw.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 19:04 »
Shame you couldn't pop the two together or maybe remove the bullies from the run for a bit see if it alters the pecking order ???

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 19:06 »
oh sarah i wish i could do that , but i still havent had permisson about my other run yet  although that could be a quite sometime  before i even start building it . an since the other girls that were sick got better i took down the fencing that was seprating them of  within the smaller shed and now all the girls adore laying inside this small shed as its nice an dark.
so if i blosk it of again they will all get stressed about their fav laying home going .

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 19:10 »
On a similar subject, one of the two older hens that I introduced into my new chucks seems to be a right bully, especially at feeding time, I've been told it's just the order of things. I know my dad, GRHS, used to put 'naughty' hens under a tin bucket for a few hours if they had been bad... Not sure if it ever worked though  :) :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 20:15 by AndyRVTR »

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 19:14 »
wow would be interesting to know if it did work not that i would be trying it . :D one of my girls hopped up onto the poo bucket the other day an it toppled over on top of her an for a few minutes i never noticed .lmao

xx
Picked up my ex-bats!

Started by HLT on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 22:57
by Chookaholic
xx
Picked up hen today - she has a big lump!!!!!

Started by Caramelle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 20:42
by OpiumEater
question
Anyone picked up Birds from Blackpool

Started by Sparr0wman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 18:10
by Sparr0wman
xx
picked up my ex-battery hens

Started by karenn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 18:20
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 36 queries.