Growing spuds through a weed suppressant

• 8 Replies

Greasehog

Growing spuds through a weed suppressant
« on: February 12, 2009, 13:28 »
This yr i'm doing as the title of this suggest i'm using  black sheeting to grow spuds through, now what i am wondering is would this be practical as earthing up would be difficult or would it not matter about earthin up?

what are your views and opions?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 14:22 by Ice »
Every gardener needs a good hoe'

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Growing spuds through a weed surpressent
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 13:48 »
Hi Greasehog! Welcome to the madhouse!!! lol  Are you talking weed suppresant here or black plastic?  different things.

I used the strong stuff terram 2 years ago, covered the area with it, then cut a small cross in the fabric where I wanted to plant my potato, the ground was soft as it had been rotavated, so I just dug a hole out with my bulb planter, dropped the potato in the hole and covered it up.  then carried on like that all over.

You don't earth up if the weed suppresant is thick as no light gets through, but the only place I got a few green spuds was where they grew too close to the cross, which I forgot to cover with a bit of soil.  Yields were pretty good, but got more slug damage than usual.  No weeds though!  So I was happy with them overall.

Trillium

Re: Growing spuds through a weed suppressant
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 16:03 »
I was going to say pretty much the same thing. If you use true weed suppressant, you'll still need to put a mulch around the plant base to protect the spuds that love to pop up to the surface, but it does tend to attract those slugs.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 16:33 »
I did this last year with a black plastic sheeting I got from Tesco and Asda, I still got alot of green spuds so I think the thicker stuff might work better.   Slugs were also a problem.

I will certernally try again this year but I might add a couple of layers of cardboard underneath to help block the light.

I also grew sweetcorn throught the plastic with french beans at the bottom and it worked brilliantly, no weeding, good sweetcorn and the beans climbed up.  I tried it the year befor with squashes aswell (3 sisters) and none of them did well, but this year it was great and no slug damage???

I also tried it with onions and it didnt go well, slugs ate most of them and they didnt get very big

I did it with cabbages too and that went well only I realised I didnt like cabbage (I only like red pickled cabbage) but slugs were a problem again.

As you can guess, I dont like weeding.  I dont have much time as I have a 2 and 3 year old so the plastic worked well enough for me as my plot was only recently made and the beds I didnt cover were covered in grass and weeds regrowing.  I am going to experiment this year with cardboard aswell.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

Greasehog

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 18:50 »
Thanks all of you for your replies....
It's the black fabric  that i'll be using i'm trying it this year because my plot has a lot of couch grass in it and i've got 6 beds each measuring 8ft by 18ft, it'll take me a month of sundays to get all the roots out so i thought i'd try the black fabric to see if it helps any.
May have to watch out for slugs though :(

Greasehog

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 18:54 »
Just had a thought.... what if i cut a slightly bigger hole for the onions that i'll be growing that way they'll get plenty of room and light to grow and i'll only have a small area to weed??? :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 19:00 »
You can only try it and see.  I've only ever done it with potatoes, and did use some very large sheets of cardboard the other year and grew cabbages through the holes I cut,  that worked well.  weighted the cardboard down with bricks so it didn't blow away, and by the time I'd used the cabbages, the cardboard was well rotted, so I put it on teh compost heap.

Must try the sweetcorn and beans idea.  Teh only problem is, my beans grow quicker than the sweetcorn!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 19:01 »
My concern with that would be that I think onions dislike root disturbance and by pulling out the couch grass roots which grow through the open squares in the fabric, you may disturb those roots.

However, I haven't tried this method of growing onions so this may not be a particularly big issue.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Greasehog

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 20:57 »
Well i shall give it a go this yr and see what happens.....

xx
Growing onions through weed suppressant fabric

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:03
by realfood
xx
couch grass growing under heavy duty weed suppressant?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 09:05
by compostqueen
xx
Weed Suppressant

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2015, 09:40
by engineer
xx
Question about weed suppressant.

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 19:19
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 36 queries.