iwantchickens.com

• 28 Replies

poultrygeist

Re: iwantchickens.com
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 16:56 »
I've used their contact form....

Hi. Could you please confirm if the hens can be left in their runs for packages 1 to 3 because they seem a bit cramped ?
Thanks. Rob.

Will see if I get a reply.

Rob 8)

twiggy

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 17:43 »
Thank you for bringing this to our attention and allowing us the opportunity to comment.

As a small business owner, I am naturally devastated by the comments that have been levied as to the way we conduct our business.  As an experienced chicken owner, the welfare of the birds we supply is of the utmost importance to the point where we have declined certain clients who are not adequately prepared or have the right environment to keep chickens.  Please note that we do not rear birds for supply, they are delivered directly from the supplier.

We insist that clients have a secure garden and discuss at great length the exercise required by chickens and how to best ensure they get this.  With regard to the number of hens kept, it really is up to an individual if they only wish to keep two, we point out that three is better and one will be lonely but make the assumption that adults can make this decision themselves.

I am disappointed that we are being targeted on the forum when we are being responsible and reiterate that our business is focussed merely around packaging together the very same items that are readily available at any outlet or internet store where, indeed, no advice is given pertaining to exercise and free ranging and the assumption that the house and run is sufficient for permanent residence of the birds is far more likely.  Sites such as ebay have suggestions that most certainly do not comply with our, or your, thoughts on sensible marketing – please see this link  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Poultry-House-Coop-&-Run-or-Rabbit-6-to-12-hens-CC007HR_W0QQitemZ270342533085QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090210?IMSfp=TL090210177002r17411

With regard to the size issue, please can I respectfully point out that a hen requiring 1sqm would therefore equate to a run 3m x 1m (and not 3m x 3m as has been suggested in an email to me). I reiterate that we stress the importance of allowing hens to have as much exercise space as possible and that the runs are used to assist with the safety of the hens.

I have amended the website to compliment our discussions with clients regarding free ranging and hope this goes some way to demonstrating that we take this issue as seriously as you.  You run an article on 'down the lane' – this site states that a 'traditional ark' is suitable for starters and for keeping two hens.  Is this not the same as we are suggesting?

Hopefully the above helps explain what we are doing and that we naturally expect individuals to do the very best for their pets – whether they be hens or any other animal but at some point the responsibility does pass to the owner. 

poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 17:56 »
Could you please clarify where your updated information is on your website ?

You appear to be still offering too many hens in too small a space and it is not practical for everyone to free range in their garden, etc.

Rob

karlooben

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 18:04 »
personally i would never buy anything premade from any supplier, i am to happy to just build my own house an run as i have done , which can work out cheaper and also i can do any size i please.

i would not allow a cat to sleep in something like that i beleive all animals must roam as freely as poss.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

twiggy

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 18:18 »
The website has been amended to reiterate (via the packages/more info) how the houses supplement the free ranging of hens to assist with keeping them safe.

I can only suggest that if you cannot free range at all, then it is unlikely our packages will be suitable - as I stated previously, we will not supply to clients if we feel the hens will not be adequately looked after in a suitable environment. 

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 18:35 »
The website hasn't updated yet. It still reads the same as before.

While I appreciate you are trying to offer enough information for people, we always advise a bare minimum of 1sq metre per bird whether it is permanent or in conjunction with free-ranging. There will always be times when the birds are kept in the run for prolonged periods and these runs are simply too small for the number of hens you're offering. Even with much larger runs, poultry soon get bored and there is no room for any stimulation. They will turn on each other and start to exhibit aggressive behaviour. Thsi is neither in the interests of the birds or the keepers.

Rob

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 18:44 »
I would always be wary of anywhere that states they do not want amybody visiting their business premises. My view would be leave well alone.  :(

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

twiggy

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 19:45 »
We are a husband and wife team operating a very small business over the internet and it is not appropriate to have visitors to our registered business address.  Not for any sinister reason – we do not hold any stock and cannot be of any further assistance outside of what is already offered via telephone and email.  We are honest, everyday people who have been completely shocked at today's events.

I am unclear why we have been targeted on this forum when there are literally thousands of houses sold across the country each month.  Indeed, our specific choice of products was based on typical examples of what is available and sold every week across the globe.  The number of birds supplied with each package is a mere fraction is a mere fraction of the number of birds quoted that these birds can keep (please see previous link).  We are supplying houses with a great deal of information.  If hens are being left for prolonged periods then this is totally against the advice we give. 

Perhaps you can point me in the direction of these enormous runs?  I have googled hen houses and have yet to find anything that isn't virtually the same as we supply.

I suspect your argument is not levied at my company but find myself the victim, nonetheless, of today's campaign to damage a business I am building.  If your argument is with the overall supply of hen houses you believe to be inadequate, could I ask that, in order to conduct a balanced debate, you include some other, much, much larger companies and discuss them also.

Regarding the website, I reiterate that it has been amended today.  Again, please visit 'packages/more info'.  I can assure you it was updated this afternoon and I have just checked it again.   I have just added another footnote to the bottom of the packages for those who do not find the information within the text.

poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 19:53 »
It was never meant to be a personal or singled out attack. Merely a concerned statement about the market in general. I would never advise anyone to buy this as a run although many do and are advised to add to the space.
I have jsut seen your latest footnote and it is much clearer for those with little or no experience. Thank you for that.
I'm not a great browser of hen house suppliers. I built my own based on information from this forum and other informative websites and books. Would it be practical in the long term to increase the size of your runs and maybe boast a far superior product to yoru competitors rather than be no worse than the rest ?
Our own hens have at least 3 sq metres each and I don't think that's enough, so we're increasing.
We don't attack people, we just look out for the hens. :)

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 19:55 »
Just had a look at the site, have to say I'm a little concerned about the statement in regards to oyster shell not being required???
In the "Before We Come" section:

"WHAT WE LIKE AND DON'T LIKE
We like light into our house and both sunny and shaded areas during the day (please ensure we are not left exposed to direct sunlight all day long as we get too hot.) When it rains, please ensure we have some shelter.

We don't like oyster shell. It makes our bones and egg shell weaker and we don't need it so please don't give it to us. Similarly, we don't want to eat our own wastage so please don't feed us back our egg shells. Crush them up and use them in the garden as snail and slug repellents instead.
"

Hen's do indeed need Oyster shell, it gives them calcium which is required not only for their bones but also to help with egg production! Even birds on a diet of layers pellets should always have access to grit & oyster shell.

Sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 20:54 »
Hi there twiggy

We all love our birds and I think we all stand by our statement that hens need at least 1 squ metre of run space each even if they can free range most of the time.  There will be times for instance holidays when you have a neighbour coming in to feed them that they they will be confined to their run for possibly a couple of weeks.

I have had a look at your site again and the paragraph you added is good but I do think you should add that if they have to be in their run for any length of time, as during holidays or while the owner is out at work or going out for the day then less birds should be housed.  Offering run extensions would be an excellent idea. 

Good luck with your business I'm sure you will do well if you put the needs of the birds first, backyard hen keeping is a fast growing and popular hobby.

I must add that any opinions expressed by members here are purely their own.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 22:01 »
From what Vember has just posted - THEY KNOW NOTHING!!!

I hope this isn't going to turn into another post like the one did about under sized runs being sold by a bright orange DIY chain???  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 22:21 »
I hope this isn't going to turn into another post like the one did about under sized runs being sold by a bright orange DIY chain???  :D

What was wrong with that thread Matthew ??

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 22:37 »
I've locked this topic for now. 

I think our members have had a say and the seller has been able to reply.  Best we leave it at that for tonight.

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 29 queries.