has anyone heard of this

• 29 Replies

karlooben

has anyone heard of this
« on: February 10, 2009, 21:08 »
i have a woman on a plot behind me who wants me to have a very tall sycamore tree cut down , well to cut a long story short the tree is staying put  but this woman has told me that trees are not allowed to be grown on any allotment site  . is this true or not  . this is a self seeded tree that was never dealt with an its based within my chicken run.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: has anyone heard of this
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 21:12 »
the rules for our local allotments prohibit trees, even fruit trees..........so i guess you have to look at the rules for your site.
Was it there when you took the plot on?

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 21:13 »
No trees allowed on our plots,self seeded or not.The reason is if you plant or allow a self seed to grow,the tenant who will have your plot after you is left with the problem of removing it.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 21:14 »
You'd have to check with the society, on ours you can plant fruit trees, but not ornamental ones etc. But if you didn't plant it then hardly be fair to ask you to remove it, but to be honest they have no real place on an allotment IMHO.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 21:16 »
We can't plant them, but if already there - tough!

Sycamores can be a nuisance though as they seed everywhere!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 21:17 »
Im not allowed to plant any trees on my lotty (Id love a cherry or pear tree eventually one day) as its a very open site. The woodland area around it is well managed so any unwanted self-seeded saplings are pulled out anyway. Any chookie people correct me if Im wrong?, but I cant see this being a problem where chickens are kept.
If its shading your growing area then ask if it can be pruned back, it may be fine for you  to do it but it depends who owns it, you must remove no more than the tree can tolerate
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Shandy

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 21:17 »
I have just looked at my tenancy agreement and it does not prohibit trees.  I have 4 apple trees on my plot which I took over 8 months ago.  The wording of my agreement states "The Tenant shall cultivate and use the allotment wholly or mainly to produce fruit, vegetables, flowers and herbs for domestic consumption by himself/herself plus family and friends, or for charitable purposes".  In no way does it state a restriction on what form this was to be in.
Happy Gardening.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 21:43 »
Sycamore trees are an ugly weed. They support almost no wildlife, make deep shade and seed everywhere.

As you may have gathered I am not a fan.

Your neighbour has my full sympathy. Do the decent thing and cut it back. Better still chop it down.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 21:47 »
They are supposed to be good for fire wood, not as hot burning as some but ok.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 21:49 »
There is no restriction in law on the growing of trees on allotments - although as they are intended for the cultivation of produce, ornamental trees (it is arguable) would not fit that description.

If your tenancy does not forbid it, then your neighbour is wrong in her assertion.

However, that being said, I agree fully with Salmo.  Sycamore trees are an awful problem on our site - selfseeded not doubt but causing so many difficulties in terms of shade, moisture competition, etc.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 21:54 »
They do support bees, which as we all know are declining.  I disagree that they are ugly, some of the most beautiful trees I have seen are Sycamore,but definately in places that can be managed
They are certainly invasive, but one tree on a plot will not be a problem as the seeds can be swept and pulled if rooted.

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 21:55 »
at first ppl wanted me to have the tree cut down mainly for the seeds it dropped ,but then once the girls moved in everyone was 'hey leave it alone it will give the girls plenty of shade ' ,. its just this new woman is a probelm causer , my god the rucks i have had with her about picking on silly silly little things . my mum is a site rep an she finally got a taste of this woman the other nite an now shes making plans with the boss of the council to get her removed .p.s we have fruit trees that were planted years ago an they have been turned into mini orchard areas were ppl can sit on the grass and relax an ppl love them so yeh we are allowed trees .if i cleared out the chickens , pulled down the run an then cleaned the ground rite up then maybe the council will remove it but that aint going to happen it.

woodburner

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 23:03 »
My advice is get rid of it before it sucks the life out of your plot. They grow huge, and the roots will go out at least as far as the canopy.
They do burn very well, not quite as good as ash but still very good, and sweeter smelling smoke.
Trees are not allowed on any site that I have ever been on, although an exception was made on one site, for a diabled person to grow small fruit trees.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 08:38 »
Sycamores on allotments are weeds in my opinion robbing valuable nutrients light and water  >:( 

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 09:22 »
How would you kill it off completely, I wonder? Chopping it down is a re-occurring job, I would imagine...
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

xx
Anyone heard this

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 23:03
by Hey Jude
xx
Has anyone heard of this before??

Started by paulb58 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 12:58
by stompy
xx
Anyone heard of this?

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 19:14
by jrko
xx
thought I'd heard everything

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 23:43
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.