Do broad beans grow tendrils?

• 22 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Do broad beans grow tendrils?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 17:30 »
PEAS

Ideal spacing = expected height of crop.

You do need to get between them to harvest or you'll miss loads & you'll be sorry! You may get away with narrower spacing if only growing two rows.

Yabba - After 2 months the first lot will not be far short of adult height & there will be little light getting in between the rows to consider planting another.

Bang goes squashing them up a wee bit then  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kagganz

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 17:33 »
I didnt know Rhubarb was a veg either!
Ive never grown it, though, and what I dont know would fill a book anyway  :D

It is a petiole - leaf stalk - and when you think about it that's obvious ::)

puts on Chris Tarrant voice

cough..... it's only obvious when you know the answer  ???

Pssst whats a petiole ?????

:D

Yabba

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 17:37 »
Yabba - After 2 months the first lot will not be far short of adult height & there will be little light getting in between the rows to consider planting another. Or did you mean 2 close spaced rows - big space - two close spaced rows?

based on the 1 /2 /3 / 4 I showed, I'm gonna be sowing in that order ( one month spacings ), the rows (roughly ) aim east -> west, so I was hoping that 1 would be well developed before 3 starts shading it? ( beds are 33" wide, was hoping 2 get 2 rows into a single bed, with paths between about as wide as yours )

¥

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 17:39 »

Pssst whats a petiole ?????

:D

Its the bottom of the leaf stem that connects to the stem/branch
Is that right aunty??

Kagganz

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 17:41 »
Just looked it up..............eeh i'm learning LOADS today  :D

XX

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 18:35 »
Yabba - After 2 months the first lot will not be far short of adult height & there will be little light getting in between the rows to consider planting another. Or did you mean 2 close spaced rows - big space - two close spaced rows?

based on the 1 /2 /3 / 4 I showed, I'm gonna be sowing in that order ( one month spacings ), the rows (roughly ) aim east -> west, so I was hoping that 1 would be well developed before 3 starts shading it? ( beds are 33" wide, was hoping 2 get 2 rows into a single bed, with paths between about as wide as yours )

¥

Think I'm with you now. With a wide gap between the beads to let the light in, you should get away with it!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yabba

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 07:33 »
Think I'm with you now. With a wide gap between the beads to let the light in, you should get away with it!

The paths are 3' wide so that should be enough space, the next bed will probably have my cabbages or onions in, so I'm hoping that's enough distance for them not to be shaded to much.

I suppose the next question is, would you bother doing a 4 month successional sowing of the peas or just bang them in in 2 lots? My goal is to avoid gluts and extend the harvest, but I also want the best that I can get ... decisions, decisions :tongue2:

¥

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 07:56 »
I go pretty well for all at the same time.

Several reasons - earlish sowings will, as mentioned, avoid the worst of the pea moth, later sowings are also prone to mildew.

Also if I've got a lot at once, I find one or two stand a chance of making it home to the dinner plate!

xx
How tall do Broad beans grow?

Started by Dotty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 14:20
by Dotty
xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg

Page created in 0.665 seconds with 36 queries.