Cost of Paraffin

• 20 Replies

Nobbie

Re: Cost of Paraffin
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 12:02 »
Just checked at my local BP garage and it's £3.99 for 4.5L. Not bad considering their petrol is the most expensive in the area.

ed_ping

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 16:36 »
I spoke with the place in Darlington that randombod mentioned. they said they sell kerosene (what you use in domestic oil boilers) as it is half the price of paraffin, he quoted 60ppl at the pump. He reckons that is what people use now.

I have read a few things on the web about using kerosene instead of paraffin, most suggest it is more smoky as not quite as refined. So chose to use paraffin. My wife called in at the local garden centre to pick up some paraffin for me, they quoted 75ppl but much closer than Darlington. However, by the smell of what arrived it is kerosene not paraffin. I've been using it for five nights now and no problems with smoke.

The key with wick heaters is not to let the flame get to big, that is when it smokes. Memories of my parents greenhouse black in soot from the wick been turned up too high taught me that one.

When my current stock runs out, I will be siphoning some oil from my house supply tank as that is currently about 30ppl delivered.

In my research I also found a allotment shop in Newcastle that sells paraffin at 55ppl (I don't know if this is really paraffin or kerosene. They allow associate members for the year for £1.

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 20:18 »
I heated a 10' lean-to greenhouse over winter for several years - not any more. It was just too expensive for me even when the local garage had a paraffin pump. I've found it cheaper to raise plants from seed and make use of a conservatory to raise them - it gains from the house's heat. When it is really freezing I can stick on a mains gas heater over-night (if I must).

Down-side is battling with the rest of the family who have yet to realise the conservatory is for plants not their relaxation!! ::)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 20:24 »
hi i have a local garage that still operates a parafin pump which was 47p per litre :D

Sounds great!  hopefully there's someone nearer to me that does the same....   Do you have any contacts in Durham by any chance?

Try smith and alan on valley street Darlington they are a big supplyer of oils etc

randombod

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 20:48 »
hi i have a local garage that still operates a parafin pump which was 47p per litre :D

Sounds great!  hopefully there's someone nearer to me that does the same....   Do you have any contacts in Durham by any chance?

Try smith and alan on valley street Darlington they are a big supplyer of oils etc

no frills in darlo on whesso road is cheeper however continue up near carlton cars and you will see some advertised really really cheep its a self pump service

Babstreefern

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 13:29 »
Here in Denton, M/cr, our allotment shop sells it for £3.70 for 4ltrs
Babs

xx
Paraffin

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 00:29
by Dopey113
xx
Paraffin

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 07:17
by weirdsowing
xx
Paraffin heaters

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 22:22
by muntjac
xx
Peas & Paraffin

Started by SamnElla on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 17:29
by WhiteWolf

Page created in 0.915 seconds with 36 queries.