When to start my chilli's off.

• 26 Replies

Brian_of_Bozeat

When to start my chilli's off.
« on: February 07, 2009, 23:07 »
Last year I grew some chilli's from small plants given to me by a friend, they grew well and we really enjoyed cooking with them.

I saved some of the seeds - but i'm not sure when to sow them or weather they would be best in the propagator or the airing cupboard...

So, chilli experts, here's my question - how do you do yours?
If only we could teach the Slugs to only eat the Weeds, and then the Pigeons to only eat the Slugs!

matron

Re: When to start my chilli's off.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 23:12 »
I grew from plants for the first time last year as well.
I have already sown my seeds and they have germinated. I don't know if I have done right but I read they can a) take a while to germinate and b) take a while to grow so, I thought I would start early.  :wacko:

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 00:10 »
I'm sowing my saved and given seeds, and repotting my over wintering effort this weekend. From my experience I've always found the seeds germinate well when covered up (ie light excluding) in the airing cupboard.
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Brian_of_Bozeat

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 00:21 »
Thanks galen, I had a feeling it was about the right time to do it.

I'm going to do mine tomorrow.

B.

richardwil

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:46 »
Start them now. Some of mine have been growing for 4 weeks and are now in pots in the greenhouse but in a heated propagator. This keeps the temperature about 8C above the air temperature. I have brought them into the house for the past couple of nights as we have been down to -7C.

I posted an article on the internet about growing chillies which you can read here if you are interested http://ezinearticles.com/?Growing-Chilies---How-to-Propagate-Chili-Seeds&id=1951760

Cheers

Ric Wiley

chilli-pot

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 23:01 »
I planted two seeds about 3-4 weeks ago and both have germinated and are now showing 2 leaves each. They are both planted in a 5 inch pot which was covered with cling film over the top for the first 2 weeks and just left on the kitchen window sill, with occassional water spraying. They seem easy enough to grow, though any tips would be gratefully accepted....

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 23:19 »
My sweet peppers which aren't a million miles from chillies take ages if at all to germinate in the heated conservatory so this year I put them in the very warm airing cupboard and within less than a week they were up.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 23:28 »
My 15 seeds are now in, not sure how 9 will do as they are from saved fruits of plants I was given last year. I certainly hope one variety, from my wifes friend Sam, will work, although not into really hot food etc I rubbed my lips after sowing them and boy did I know it  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

justlearning

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:56 »
Mine are doing great in a heated propagator  :D
GrowVeg.com - easy veg plot planning

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:07 »
Mine are doing great in a heated propagator  :D

Don't leave them in too long they will get weak and leggy with the warmth .

Mine went in just before the snows arrived last week I've 2 up but because I've had to bring them indoors they have gone a little leggy but should be ok
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35 »
So, do you all think sweet peppers should be sown now too? I'm guessing they're a very close relation to chillis. Ooh, and actually... what about aubergines also  ??? I'm planning on growing them all (for the first time for me!) in my unheated greenhouse this summer

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 14:13 »
I started my aubergines, sweet peppers and chilli's in my heated propagator last week. Also did a bit of parsley, coriander and basil.  I started my toms last year too early, so i filled the propagator this time to stop me from doing the same.

When the first lot are all up, i reckon my toms can go in.
Liv.

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 16:30 »
So, do you all think sweet peppers should be sown now too? I'm guessing they're a very close relation to chillis.

The ones I started off were taste of italy Pepper Ciliegia Piccante (thats a mouthful  :D) and that said you can start off in late January or up to April.  First time this year sowing those, which are small tomato shaped red fruits and early cropping.

I was too late last year, for a different variety to ripen i.e. Pepper gourmet an orange sweet bell pepper.  But that was because they took 6 weeks to germinate. The Orange pepper gourmet says sow March to April which I did late March.  They have never ripened well for me on the windowsill either.  Last years weather wasn't that sunny for them either.

This year I started the small peppers Cili wotsit as above off in an airing cupboard which was much more succesful, than just in heated conservatory.  They were up in a week rather than 6 weeks.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 16:49 »
Mine started off 2 weeks ago on a windowsill without heat.  I planted 10 and have got 5 little ones peeping their heads up. Ill leave the cover on for another week, and if the rest dont germinate then I'll take it off. Ive plenty to sow later too
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

smc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 17:50 »
if they start to germinate in next weeks tho will it not be to early to put into unheated greenhouse,with this silly weather

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
chilli help

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 10:52
by NewSteve
xx
Chilli's

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 19:14
by whippersnapper

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 37 queries.