Greenhouse Heater Fuels

• 21 Replies

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Greenhouse Heater Fuels
« on: February 04, 2009, 21:11 »
Hi All

I am currently paying £1.50 per litre for paraffin to fuel my greenhouse heater, and a full tank of 4 litres is only lasting about 3/4 days.
I am looking for a cheaper alternative to this and would appreciate some input.
I know that I can use kerosene and home heating oil instead but its hard to get hold of in smaller quantities.
Would it be possible to use red diesel insead?

Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

Gwiz

Re: Greenhouse Heater Fuels
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:30 »
I thought home heating oil, is red diesel, or Am I losing the plot... ???(quite likely)
I know that calor used to make a heater for greenhouses, but the price of bottled gas has made that idear a no-go.
Cheapest form of heating I know of is none at all, might be worth working towards for next year....... :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11 »
I use electric, thats ok if your near a mains outlet. But nothings really cheap heating wise, thats the main reason I've not started a lot off yet. I'm no convinced the early start offsets the cost of the heat.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

hindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:49 »
I'm no convinced the early start offsets the cost of the heat.

I'm beginning to think exactly the same thing, but unfortunately this year has to be heated, will work towards next year and not heating it.

Thats when I can find my plot, Just been up there and all I can see is a blanket of snow everywhere, lol. Oh and the rabbit tracks  >:(

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:58 »
Thats one thing we don't have I'm glad to say wabbits  :mad:

I'd be tempted to snare a few if we did  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:30 »
My Brian promised me one of these 2 years ago.  I'm still waiting!!!!

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Greenhouse-Heat-Sink.htm

hindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:57 »
My Brian promised me one of these 2 years ago.  I'm still waiting!!!!

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Greenhouse-Heat-Sink.htm

I thought about one of these when I put the greenhouse in place, but really cant see how it will do much good on days like this. Theres no sun at all to warm the air for the system to store it. I think I would still have to use a heater. But that said It would probably help keep it warmer if used in conjunction with a heater.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:21 »
well on It's not easy being green, I thought they said they use it all year round.  It doesn't take much to warm my greenhouses and polytunnel during the day, but I'll probably never know, if Brian doesn't help me make one!!!!    :( :( :(

hindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26 »
but I'll probably never know, if Brian doesn't help me make one!!!!    :( :( :(

C'mon Brain, get yer finger out  ;).   We can all benefit from the results of using this then.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 10:31 »
Oh don't hindy, he's still trying to get his head round killing the rest of the turkeys and meat chickens.  Was going to do some more todeay, now he's gone off the idea and says he'll do some more tomorrow!!!

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 15:05 »
A number of people in my area who have large greenhouses and polytunnels installed wood stoves as heaters in the middle of the tunnel. Its a bit of a fiddle to keep topping it up, but its free fuel and certainly does the job.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 20:10 »
I thought home heating oil, is red diesel, or Am I losing the plot... ???(quite likely)

I had a discussion about this when we moved into the house we live in now and neede to get a delivery of heating oil. The need was rather urgent as we'd run out (wan't my fault, the gauge was so old it was difficulty to tell even if there was oil in the tank, let alone how much!), it was winter and we had a young child. THe chao at the oil company was very patient and managed to explain that most heating systems ran on something called 28 second oil (so called due to the way it's viscosity is measured) which I believe is referred to as Kerosene in the rest of the world. Have you thought about a small DIY wind turbine or solar air heater to augment your fuel heater?
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

hindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 15:14 »
I had a discussion about this when we moved into the house we live in now and neede to get a delivery of heating oil. The need was rather urgent as we'd run out (wan't my fault, the gauge was so old it was difficulty to tell even if there was oil in the tank, let alone how much!), it was winter and we had a young child. THe chao at the oil company was very patient and managed to explain that most heating systems ran on something called 28 second oil (so called due to the way it's viscosity is measured) which I believe is referred to as Kerosene in the rest of the world. Have you thought about a small DIY wind turbine or solar air heater to augment your fuel heater?

Hi Browser, what was the outcome of the discussion ? Did he say it was ok to use red diesel?

I have plans to make a wind turbine but thats going to be a summer project. Just collecting the parts now.
http://www.velacreations.com/chispito.html

Stree

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 21:36 »
My plan for heating the greenhouse ( when I have built it ! ) is as follows.
I have a shed and have ordered a wood stove to heat it  it.....  I intend to build the greenhouse as a lean to against the shed and tap into the electric for greenhouse socket and lights, and  make a vent  at floor level from the shed to the greenhouse to let warm air keep the temp up when needed. Vent can be closed when heat not needed or pushed through with a fan assistance for a quick warm up.
I bet it ends up with a door through the shed wall into the greenhouse .
The greenhouse will be south facing, so thinking about it a door there would help air in the greenhouse  keep moving in summer heat as well

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 10:36 »

Hi Browser, what was the outcome of the discussion ? Did he say it was ok to use red diesel?

I have plans to make a wind turbine but thats going to be a summer project. Just collecting the parts now.
http://www.velacreations.com/chispito.html

Oops, sorry to have not replied for a while, haven't visited the page for a bit :blush:
Absolutely, definitely NO! Diesel burns hotter than kerosene and will roger your burner in short order. You can get a burner for diesel for your boiler but it's nearly the same cost as a new boiler!

xx
GREENHOUSE HEATER

Started by Scribbler on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 14:52
by Aidy
xx
Greenhouse Heater ?

Started by Matt31 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 15:12
by smud6ie
xx
greenhouse heater

Started by wozie on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 10:26
by thecakebaker
xx
How to use a greenhouse heater

Started by min200 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 08:11
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.