Planting Parsnips

• 79 Replies

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Planting Parsnips
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 19:45 »
Hi, spot on Salmo, forgot to mention the depth but i think it's a daytime temperature.

Keep on a troshing J W

Paul Plots

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 19:57 »
I've got a soil thermometer and it is really useful. Have to remind myself not to get carried away when it reads 12 at lunch time as it bound to be much colder at night. Can't take the temperature at night as the torch hasn't come yet, Learner!!!  ??? ???

I'm sure they must do remote sensors that transmit the temperature readings to your computer throughout the day. Power source -  solar panel driven with rechargeable batteries so able to keep working in the dark until next charge the following morning.  :tongue2:

(All so fits in with "Earth Hour" - very green)

Personally I just turn my back to the sun and feel the warmth.... if it is warm enough for me it might be warm enough for seeds.....not that I'm hanging about out there all night even with a decent torch! ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 20:59 »
I've got a soil thermometer and it is really useful. Have to remind myself not to get carried away when it reads 12 at lunch time as it bound to be much colder at night. Can't take the temperature at night as the torch hasn't come yet, Learner!!!  ??? ???

I'm sure they must do remote sensors that transmit the temperature readings to your computer throughout the day. Power source -  solar panel driven with rechargeable batteries so able to keep working in the dark until next charge the following morning.  :tongue2:

(All so fits in with "Earth Hour" - very green)

Personally I just turn my back to the sun and feel the warmth.... if it is warm enough for me it might be warm enough for seeds.....not that I'm hanging about out there all night even with a decent torch! ;)
 Even a decent torch won't raise the soil temp enough, so trun your back to the sun and enjoy :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Brian_of_Bozeat

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 00:18 »
I like the sound of the soil thermometer gadget... But I'm confused.

If the seeds will be sown at a half inch deep then why measure the temperature at 4" deep? are you saying that if the ground measures 7 degrees at 4" deep then it must be higher than 7 degrees in the soil above?

Please explain in more depth! - depth, haha! <sorry>

If only we could teach the Slugs to only eat the Weeds, and then the Pigeons to only eat the Slugs!

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 00:23 »

There are small battery powered logging units available. They were designed to continuously monitor chiller cabinet temperatures. You just down load the data in the morning. (Or some other time).

Paul Plots

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 00:24 »
I like the sound of the soil thermometer gadget... But I'm confused.

If the seeds will be sown at a half inch deep then why measure the temperature at 4" deep? are you saying that if the ground measures 7 degrees at 4" deep then it must be higher than 7 degrees in the soil above?

Please explain in more depth! - depth, haha! <sorry>

I'm confused too but it might be something to do with the soil retaining heat once it has reached a good temperature several inches below the surface.. :unsure:.

It amazes me how it is possible to run central heating and domestic hot water systems from heat stored in the ground... ???

Paul Plots

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 00:26 »

There are small battery powered logging units available. They were designed to continuously monitor chiller cabinet temperatures. You just down load the data in the morning. (Or some other time).

Blinking clever....sounds similar to the portable logging units the children use at school for science investigations.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 07:24 »
Yes these probably are very similar, but I just use the trusty old thermometer that cost about £2.50 years ago. It has a good strong metal point and taking the temperature first thing in the morning has given a good guide as to whether it is warm enough to sow or not ... or you could use L's methos of the sun on your back of course, which has been used for centuries (not by Learner I say quickly  :lol:)

Paul Plots

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 19:58 »
Yes these probably are very similar, but I just use the trusty old thermometer that cost about £2.50 years ago. It has a good strong metal point and taking the temperature first thing in the morning has given a good guide as to whether it is warm enough to sow or not ... or you could use L's methos of the sun on your back of course, which has been used for centuries (not by Learner I say quickly  :lol:)

How nice of you to point that out sunshineband - (Despite looks....half a century only  ::)  )

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 21:11 »
Glad to help Learner --- I have been told appearances can be deceptive so have learned to err on the side of caution to save embarrassing moments  :lol: :lol: :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 21:56 »
April sown.
In the ground.
No paste.
No transplanting
NO manure!

Unlike DD (above) i failed with direct sown parsnip for years so i started some gladiators in kitchen roll tubes and now get excellent crops and no need to core even the biggest  of nearly 4.5lb.

Paul Plots

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 23:01 »
That's a biggun! 

There must be some spare for parsnip crisps! (potato peeler and very quick deep-fry)  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2009, 07:14 »
Enough parsnip crisps there to share I reckon Yum Yum

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2009, 21:16 »
Hi, ithink they say 4" because the stored up temp. is lower down, and the surface temp. can be variable.

Brian_of_Bozeat

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2009, 22:16 »
Hi, ithink they say 4" because the stored up temp. is lower down, and the surface temp. can be variable.

But that is where the seeds will be. In the variable bit! i guess it must be that if the more consistent bit is at a regular 7 degrees then the variable bit above will vary within an acceptable (to the seed that is) range.

Still, if i'm honest. Theres loads of stuff in the veg patch that works without me knowing the inside & out of it, so I will accept the tip without further questions.

xx
planting parsnips

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 09:53
by Bombers
xx
R u planting ur parsnips yet?

Started by annie2006 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 22:20
by waddecar
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by flimbin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 21:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 36 queries.