Planting Parsnips

• 79 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Planting Parsnips
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 16:35 »
I've got a picture I took of a rather (very) rude parsnip - am I allowed to send it in??? :blush:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 16:41 »
^i have no problems  with a (very) rude parsnip pic but only if it (very) lol, dont know about everyone else....
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 18:37 »
Thanks for the idea muddywellies, it sounds like a bit of a less radical departure than the wallpaper paste, and one I shall try. Be good to hear how you get on. I have Tender & True so am not expecting the gigantic size of our friends, but will be happy with a whole row. Just love 'nips.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 18:59 »
Having read about the untidy rows I shall do as I did last year and pop ye parsnips in good compost in tubs in a place where they will not be taking up space. It's a sunny corner which worked last year.

Hints on better germination also noted.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 11:29 »
^i have no problems  with a (very) rude parsnip pic but only if it (very) lol, dont know about everyone else....

I always think if you understand the joke, you're already corrupted and should stop complaining: if you really were innocent, you wouldn't get it!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 18:31 »
I haven't actually seen this photo of the rude parsnip to know if it was a joke or not (or even if I thought it was!) Have I missed it?!!!!

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 22:16 »
I did a trial last year. Two rows of 15 straight in the ground, and two rows of 15 sown in 30 toilet roll tubes at home.

The ones in tubes germinated better, and all transplanted well.

Where the ones sown in the ground failed to germinate I sowed a second lot.

Now the results.

The second lot were small weedy things and really not worth the effort.

The ones planted straight in the ground were superb. But still one or two forked.

Most of the ones in the toilet roll tubes were also superb, just one or two that had forked. But the overall parsnip was just as big and each leg of the forked ones was easily as big as the little ones the supermarket sell.

There are quite a lot of small flint in my soil so the forking could have been down to anything.

The only think I would say is that its quite hard to plant a who,e toilet roll tibe so this year I am going to have a go at cutting them down and transplanting earlier.

Hope this helps

I
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 22:20 »
I use half toilet rolls tubes for planting all sorts of stuff - and also for sticking any pug plants in that anyone gives me, until I can plant them . protects the roots really well.

SSM

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 17:47 »
After listening to some of the old gardeners, and picking up various tips that have been given to me over the past decade + The best Parsnips that I have grown have been as follows.

After putting into place a stringline, drill holes at 225mm centres, as deep as possible in soil using 12mm bar. Fill hole/s with compost until 12mm from top, lay in several seeds and cover with same compost and water as required.

When the new seedlings are approx 40 to 50mm high thin out. (I do this several times, until I am down to the last & strongest individual plant). When plants are at about 100mm high sprinkle lime around base this can help to keep canker at bay.

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 20:53 »
I germinated mine last year on damp kitchen roll, stuffed toilet rolls with sandy seed compost, let the strongest grow on & planted out after 4 weeks into a pre-drilled hole. Best snips I have ever grown, 99.9% success rate. The only bit I regret is I should have grown twice as many as I've run out  >:(
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 21:07 »
Last year my parsnips were a disaster. I waited and waited and had a beautifully straight row of tiny weeds all carefully weeded down both sides :blink:....
I knew they could be slow to germinate so I'm still waiting. :blink:

Wall-paper paste is an idea - trouble might be that most wall-paper pastes contain fungicide and it's hard to find paste that doesn't.

The advice is useful (thanks to everyone) so I'm going to try some in half-loo rolls and some straight in the ground....but without last year's rush. I think I sowed too early and then...........waited and............waited too long :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Bombers

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 21:17 »
As I keep hearing folk say.... "Don't be fooled into sowing too early".

The soil is too cold.

Last year I sowed into paper pots in March, and transplanted out in April. I also sowed some direct. Those (sown Direct) over took the paper pot seedlings and were whoppers.
With the rest of the seed, I decided (as they don't keep) to chuck them all underneath the bean frame IN JUNE. Here's one we had roasted with Christmas dinner.... :)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 22:15 »
Thanks for the pic Bombers - I'm definitely trying the sow in a tube and also on the plot methods... :)

I can't wait to take a potato peeler, slice some really thin strips of parsnip and drop them for a second or two in hot oil. "Parsnip crisps" - excellent (despite being unhealthy - all that fat!! :()

Bombers

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 22:19 »
Thanks for the pic Bombers - I'm definitely trying the sow in a tube and also on the plot methods... :)

I can't wait to take a potato peeler, slice some really thin strips of parsnip and drop them for a second or two in hot oil. "Parsnip crisps" - excellent (despite being unhealthy - all that fat!! :()
mmmm. that sounds really lovely. Had to BUY some snips last weekend :ohmy: So my OH could make some soup. great with Crusty Bread. mmmmmmmmmm

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 22:37 »
Planted mine in May last year straight into the ground and they were beauties, still a few left in the ground.  Actually i never liked parsnips but since i have grown my own i love em, parsnip soup, yum, roast parsnips yum yum.  Did Roast pork on Sunday for my two boys with all the trimmings but had roast parsnips and roast celeriac which i have never tried before and it was fantastic.  I am going to grow some Celariac this year, just wanted to see if i liked it first as i am not a big fan of celery but it is totally different.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

xx
planting parsnips

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 09:53
by Bombers
xx
R u planting ur parsnips yet?

Started by annie2006 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 22:20
by waddecar
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:10
by Lisbon67

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 36 queries.