« on: February 03, 2009, 19:31 »
Do you use pressure treated or not hmmm
Kris
Thanks
Kris

pushrod

Re: Raised bed Timber
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 20:06 »
i used pressure treated with expected life of 25 years.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 20:13 »
Not sure about the UK, but Canada has changed the chemical formulations in pressure treated lumber so that it's a little bit safer for handling. Old formulas were notorious for leaching out into the raised bed soil.
But in practicality, while non treated lumber is safer, its a real pain to replace regularly especially with prices raising steadily. I have to build several raised beds this year and the bottom frame will be treated, the uppers not treated but lined with heavy duty poly to lengthen their life. Some folk use free skid wood but that has short life.
Mostly it's personal choice.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:23 »
Having looked around there are many many site's that sell treated wood for raised beds so i guess it cant be that bad.  im looking at doing some corner beds at some point.
Kris

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 14:02 »
Not sure about the UK, but Canada has changed the chemical formulations in pressure treated lumber so that it's a little bit safer for handling. Old formulas were notorious for leaching out into the raised bed soil.
But in practicality, while non treated lumber is safer, its a real pain to replace regularly especially with prices raising steadily. I have to build several raised beds this year and the bottom frame will be treated, the uppers not treated but lined with heavy duty poly to lengthen their life. Some folk use free skid wood but that has short life.
Mostly it's personal choice.
Same here. It doesn't have arsenic in it any more, still got the copper though. I don't use wood to raise the beds personally, they stay up just fine without any. ;) :mellow:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

wayne_g

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 19:22 »
I used old scaffold boards. As soon as they show the slightest sign of splitting they can't be used anymore so the companies just bin them. I managed to get some as a lady I work with - her partner is a scafolder and got me a load and he even delivered them for some beer and a few veg! They are brilliant for raised beds and pathways.

xx
Preservative for timber raised beds

Started by buckie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 15:02
by buckie
xx
Treated Timber

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 19:13
by Trillium
xx
What do i put in a raised bed?

Started by Feeb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 14:16
by Feeb
xx
raised bed

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 22:18
by mrsbean

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 36 queries.