Everything is being eaten...

• 30 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
Re: Everything is being eaten...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 21:21 »
hedgehogs. now endangered if you can believe it.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 21:29 »
I've heard that slug pellets are bad for hedgehogs and now net off any veg I use them on.  I never used to net off and still had loads of hedgehogs in the garden.  I would like some conclusive proof on the effects.
Cheese makes everything better.

shaun

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 21:31 »
theres plenty of hedgehogs on our plots and a lot of folks use pellets,
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 21:32 »
For beer traps try your local. Every time the barrel is changed they pull some through and then tip it away, also when they empty the drip trays. If you know the landlord he might save you some. Not here though, it tastes like they sell it again :tongue2:
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 21:38 »
Well it's a bit of work protecting the plants from the ducks but I don't have any problems with slugs anymore and the veg has done better since I got my ducks that ever before. Plus you get the satisfaction of the slugs being recycled into eggs :)

Don't think of it like that while you actually eat the eggs though :tongue2:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 21:52 »
If you can make a small pond (upturned bin lid?) with some stones round it and plants to hide under, you may attract a couple of toads which will assist in reducing your slugs.
Or ducks. :D

I think slug pellets can affect birds that eat the slugs and snails. We don't use them but then we lost most to the catterpilars last year :(

Rob 8)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 22:06 »
i've spoken to both of your hedgehogs and they claim to feel under the weather.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 23:35 »
i just use slug pellets,you can try everything in the book but the slugs will beat you

ditto,I dont use any other chemicals but Im not working so hard and spending so much to lose it all
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Salmo

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 23:57 »
If your potatoes and salady stuff were OK then maybe not slugs. You will see slime trails. Rasping mouthparts so ragged damage to leaves.

Pigeons peck off leaves / pods and eat them tidily.
Rabbits eat plants off at ground level and you will see tell-tail scratchings in the soil and small black droppings. Hares similar.
Pheasants/partridges scratch in loose soil and dust like a hen, peck off leaves / pods in an untidy manner. Usually leave brown speckled feathers and whitish droppings.
Crows pull up emerging beans and sweet corn to see if there is a bug or worm underneath to eat and then leave then lying around. Sometimes attack pea and bean pods.

Please tell us in detail what damage you have seen?

Stripey_cat

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 20:17 »
It is a little morbid watching a six year old declare that we got loads last night but worth it to save the edibles.

That brings back memories!  I caught it twenty years ago when Mum spotted me out in the garden lugging a stockpot of boiling water.  "Look, Mum!  If you splash scalding water on the slug, it melts!"  We settled on me collecting them in a tin and spreading them out on the path, and her pouring the boiling water about the place.

Small Potatoes

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 22:21 »
Four foot tall bean plants going to the slugs? They must be some big old slugs!  :wacko:
Not sure where I stand on the old slug pellet debate... can't help but think they're probably harmless by the way mice seem to munch their way through kilos of the things in our lottie commitee shed but try not to use them cos I luuurrve frogs, hedgehogs,etc.
Anyway, thinking of plants getting destroyed reminds me that for the last two seasons I've had trouble with all my cucurmbits. Whether I sowed in situ, or at home and then planted them out, they'd all (9 out of 10 of them anyway) end up with the stem severed or nearly severed within a couple of days. Tried slug pellets and netting to stop whatever it was but neither worked. Thought it could be cutworms but just can't believe it's just them since I haven't had this trouble with any other crops... any ideas?

noshed

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 22:44 »
Hi Sarah
I use slug pellets quite sparingly and I put cut off pop bottles around tender seedlings. Then I use enviromesh over cabbages etc to keep the butterflies (and caterpillars) off. I can't think what's eating your 4' runner beans though - have you talked to your plot neighbours? They will know what is going on your site. You might have to sit in people's sheds and drink tea but you do learn a lot.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

lewishamsarah

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 22:52 »
MANY thanks for everyone's suggestions, though there are some I've tried already...

I'll keep working and post another message later in the season to say what happens. Watch this space!

lacewing

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 06:10 »
I put the slug pellets in a plastic food container with a lid, cut a small door in the side big enough for the slug to get in and have his fill, the slug pellets stay dry and other animals are not harmed. Check each morning and remove dead slugs.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 10:43 »
It's not slugs that climb up to eat your runners it's snails >:(
Seen em wiv me own eyes  :mad:

xx
What have you eaten??

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 20:57
by Ice
xx
Cauliflowers have been eaten

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 20:52
by DD.
xx
First Crops Eaten

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2007, 20:17
by apes1978
xx
Pumpkin eaten!

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 13:26
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 38 queries.