runner beans

• 4 Replies

pansy potter

runner beans
« on: February 03, 2009, 14:53 »
hya its harry potter here,im very new to this gardening lark,so a silly question we have chitted some pentland javelin early tates into egg cartons,do we just leave them to sprout or do we need to do anything else to them.also runner beans when we come to plant them,is there any particular way up?

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Re: runner beans
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 15:49 »
Everything seems fine with the tats. They should be in a cool place with plenty of light. As for your runner beans, you could get some manure in the ground where you are going to plant them. I start mine off in the shed then plant out after the risk of frost has gone (about mid may). I use a wig wam shape of bamboo kanes to grow them up. Some people use nets, but i have heard that they prefer something solid to grow on. You could look on this site for "Muntys bean frame" if you want to go down that route.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

pansy potter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 16:05 »
thanks will let you know of progress

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 19:26 »
With spuds, when they are sprouting (or chitting), only keep about 4 chits at the top.  Nip out the rest. 

Also, when you plant out the runner beans (I also use the wigwam method), I use 5 x 8' canes, so when the beans reach the top, about an inch below the tip of the canes, nip off the top most and this will prevent black fly.

In the Autumn, when your beans have stopped, dig in the plant into the ground - this is green manure, as this puts back the goodness into the ground.  This will compost in by the following year. :D
Babs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 22:05 »
I never nip out my chits, but we digress!!

Runner beans - just bung the seed in. It'll sort itself out, the roots & shoot know which way to go.

The most important part of the old runner bean plant to dig in, (or at least not dig up), is the root. Being a legume it is loaded with nitrogen rich nodules.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 28 queries.