MOLT

• 8 Replies

T C

• Experienced Member
MOLT
« on: January 30, 2009, 23:46 »
Hi everyone, when my hens go into molt, how long will this last, and will they all molt at the same time, they all came to me at the same time, and i think they are all the same age, T C
T C TOP CAT

pushrod

Re: MOLT
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 00:00 »
Quite probable that they will all moult at the same time and they will then not be laying for quite a few weeks.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:10 »
well my 2nd year plus hens started moulting one by one around September -they can take from around 6 weeks normally. The last one started her moult about 3 weeks ago (silly chicken!) she will be fully feathered in about 2 weeks. :) So not necessarily all at the same time in my experience!

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 18:39 »
So not necessarily all at the same time in my experience!

sorry meant to say "probable... at the same time of year" did not mean to intimate that they will all moult at exactly the same time.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 18:48 »
So not necessarily all at the same time in my experience!

sorry meant to say "probable... at the same time of year" did not mean to intimate that they will all moult at exactly the same time.

Actually I was impressed! you had me thinking you had your hens so well organised they all moulted together not like my rabble! :lol: :lol:

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 20:03 »
the word obviously hasn't got out round here, none of mine have, ( most of them didn't have any feathers to start off with) the exception being Pumpkin, he lost his topnot, but thats it.

linzechris

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 13:45 »
One of mine is molting and this is my first experience of this as I have not had them long. She is not quite herself since she started is this normal? :unsure:Also will poultry spice help?
Christine J Jeavons

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 16:03 »
One of mine is molting and this is this normal? :unsure:Also will poultry spice help?

If its any help -mine get a bit "nervy" and seem to do a lot of "ducking" and "diving" they are not bullied -but I can tell their over anxious behaviour winds the others up a bit! ??? ???
Oh and I do add a little poultry spice during the moult and with this weather  and I make sure they have a good helping of mixed corn before bed to help keep them warm

linzechris

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 16:15 »
Thanks. Thats just what I wanted to know. :)

xx
chicken molt

Started by mondaysoff on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 09:04
by joyfull
xx
Prolonged molt and malise/mouth breathing

Started by Egg Lady of Idaho on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 17:51
by Egg Lady of Idaho

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 36 queries.