Leftovers

• 2 Replies

Ro

Leftovers
« on: January 30, 2009, 19:02 »
Hi folks,

I am a new allotment holder and gardener.  I took over an allotment in late December and am slowly working my way through clearing the site and getting it ready.  I'm probably a bit behind schedule, but enjoying the "pottering" nevertheless.

The previous holder planted a few plants before letting the plot fall into disarray and I am hoping you lot can give me some advice about salvaging some of these.

First up are the raspberry canes, which I wouldn't have know were raspberry canes had the Allotment Society secretary not pointed it out.  I would love to save them and have my own raspberries in summer.  Is it too late to prune them?  How do I tackle this job?  With regards to tying on supports, down I wait until there is a significant new stalk before installing the supports?

Secondly, there is a row of what appear to be leeks.  I've seen some leeks on other allotment holders plots, and the ones on mine are a bit smaller.  Can I harvest these "early"?  Is there any minimum time limit on how long they have been growing?  There are not many, but I would rather not throw them away.

I'm sure I will have loads of questions in the next few months, so thanks in advance for any help / advice you can offer.

Ro

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 19:21 »
Hi Ro & welcome.

Regarding the raspberries, you really need to know if they are autumn fruiting or summer fruiting, as the pruning is different. If you can see both new growth and old dead wood, chances are they are summer ones and you just cut out the dead wood.

If they are autumn fruiting ones, the whole lot needs to come off as the fruit will appear on the new growth in the same year.

If you can't establish from this or by asking, safest thing is to cut out obviously dead wood and leave the rest. Then see when you get fruit & prune accordingly next time.

Regarding the leeks. Harvest & use them. The next time they start growing they will be running to seed and have a tough central flower stem in them.

There is one more thing, but with this new forum, I'd better check first, (nothing to do with growing).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Leftovers
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 19:23 »
Don't worry about the other point.

The old board didn't like 2 letter usernames and you wouldn't show on a search. This one's OK!!

xx
composting cooked food and leftovers

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 15:33
by Tea Break

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 36 queries.