is 3 ft to high for my chickens perch ?

• 12 Replies

nicsastar

is 3 ft to high for my chickens perch ?
« on: January 29, 2009, 19:23 »
hi  i have just got a new 6 ft x4 ft shed for my new chickens.  i have 1 perch about 16 - 18 inches high, the nest boxes are  about 2 ft 4'' high  and was wondering is 3 ft to high for the other perch?  i want this higher than my nesting boxes but not sure if its to high .any advice or ideas would be great  thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: is 3 ft to high for my chickens perch ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 19:34 »
I think you'll be surprised!  When our biggest shed has new POL's in it, I have 2 wooden frames that I use as extra perches which just stand up against the wall.  they have four rows of 'perches' and the highest is nearly 4ft high.  and in our laying hens shed.  their posh nest boxes have 2 tiers and the top ones with perch are defo more than 3ft high, but it doesn't stop them laying in the top nest boxes.

The only problem maybe with it being a 6x4 shed, do they have room for their take off to get that high???

poultrygeist

Re: perchs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 19:36 »
Hi nicsastar.

I would have thought 3ft is a bit high in case they injure themselves jumping off.

Could you get a ramp or ladder type affair up to it ?

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 19:55 »
hi there, how many birds are u placing in the shed ,. i had mine in a 6'4 shed .i placed a pole along the length of the shed and was waist height an the girls loved that , then i placed 9 home made shelf nest boxes along the far end of the shed an they must of been just over 4 foot  high  .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 19:57 »
Blimey. Annie and Looby, I take back my comment  :unsure:

They must be better at jumping down than i thought.  ::)

Rob 8)

nicsastar

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 19:58 »
yeah that was my thought about them hurting themselves .whats a good height for the nests then do you think ? as the house they are in at the minute they are sleeping in there nesting boxes and  was told if i have my perch high they should roost on that .i have 4 at the mo but want a couple more soon

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 20:09 »
my old neighbour made my girls the most wicked ladder out of a an old pallet , the girls loved it an it was so brillant watching them used it for the first time.

i think they would jump higher if thier lifes depended on it rob  :tongue2:.

they did always prefer the lower down boxes may neighbour made in the smaller shed and also the deep bedded straw on the floor.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 20:42 »
They don't jump rob, our girls have finesse!!! they glide gently!!!!

The lower run of nest boxes is about 2ft off the ground, and the attached perches fold up at night, otherwise, they will roost in the nest boxes.  Cheeky girls.

The best way to stop them roosting in the nest boxes is to make a flap of somesort that can cover the nest boxes at night so the girls can't get in until you open the flap again.  Some people don't mind their chooks roosting in their nest boxes, but when you've got a lot like we have, they leave a lot of poop behind!!!!! lol

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 23:21 »
Just had one of my girls hurt her self flying, jumping, down from her roosting perch, we have now droped it down a couple of feet, i have just seen the post about a ramp, great idea, its on my list of things to do in the morning, thanks for that, dont know why i didnt think of it, ps had a real job getting into this forum, i hope im back in now, T C
T C TOP CAT

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 04:03 »
The heavier breeds do tend to hurt themselves if the roosts are too high. I also like to use a 2x4 with the 4" side up. That way the birds can cover their feet better in cold weather and they don't "lock in" with their toes to try to stay on the roost. Feet wrapped around too smal a perch can cause Bumblefoot which are absessed pads on the bottom of the feet and hard to clear up.

My Phoenix roost about 20 feet up in the trees in the front yard. You don't look up when walking around here at night!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:39 »
Mine roost at about 3' high they have a simple ladder to go up and down on.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06 »
I had our perches lowered due to having BIG girls...............Orps - dotties etc.
They are now about 10".....................enough hight for a big fluffy to hop down without injury.

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 21:41 »
Hi there, just to let you know we built a ramp up to the roosting perches today, we watched them go to bed tonite, and they all walked up it to go to roost, they loved it, they were all haveing a right conflab about it all as we walked away, so i think we can saftley say it was a hit with the girls, T C

xx
My chickens don't perch

Started by 5aday on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 12:39
by Moby1
xx
Handling chickens/perch

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:19
by nzdunn
xx
Chickens sleep in nesting box not perch :(

Started by Scubapunk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 03:35
by hillfooter
xx
How High Will Chickens Fly?

Started by mattmac on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 07:33
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 36 queries.