• 6 Replies

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
Static or Moveable run?
« on: January 29, 2009, 13:34 »
Sorry to be a pain but I'm still deciding which type of run to go for   :blink:

I've got to build a run, 3m x 1m for 3 chooks, with the coop at one end. I've designed a moveable set up as that was the intention, but I'm wondering if I really need to move it around as the chooks will be having free range of the garden every day and only in the run if we know we'll be out during the day, which is rare to be honest.

My question is, will the chooks likely hang around in the run if it's there or given the chance will they be ranging the garden? Ideally I'd like to keep the run floor just grass and free from bark/chippings, so if they're likely to just run around the garden most of the time the grass will survive - they'll literally probably only spend 3 days per month maximum in the run during the day - even on holidays our neighbours have volunteered to let them out and in during the day.

Roughlee Handled

Re: Static or Moveable run?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 14:14 »

As you probably be aware the run you are proposing is the absolute minimum size for three chickens and should be bigger.  If you are adding to a coup inside the 1 by 3 metre run then this is not enough space and unless you want a  1 by 3 metre mud bath for your chickens it will have to be moveable.  Chickens can turn a small area in to a mud bath in the blink of an eye.

Do you have any foxes in your area.  No.  Are you sure. 
Are you proud of you garden?  Do you like your flowers?  If the answer is yes then you will not be letting you chickens free range for very long.
Question for you is your garden fenced or hedged?  Is your fencing/boundary free of any holes?  Are your neighbours proud of there gardens/flowers?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 15:05 »
Hi :) Thanks for getting back.

As I said, they won't be in the run unless we're out during the day - the coop is separate to the run I intend to build - the coop is raised over part of the run. We both work from home and own a (soft) dog, so I'm pretty sure they'll be safe in the garden from foxes during the day, and of course they'll be in the coop overnight - I wasn't too concerned about it being the minimum size as I know they won't be in it - we hardly go out as it is to be honest! I can give them more though, but as I said, they won't be living in there 24/7 - there's no point if we have a garden.

Proud of the garden? Hehe - well, we do have some border plants but worst case scenario we can fence/wall off half the garden, giving them about 2,000 sq ft to pootle around in, though if we find they pick on certain plants or have a favourite patch then that'll be there territory. We don't have time for perfect lawns and the such, much rather be out digging veggies or walking the dog (the veggies will be fenced in btw, unless it's end of season in which case they'll be free to roam it). The garden edging is fenced except some holly hedging at the front which is pretty thick - the garden is dog-escape proof (it has to be else he'd be in the neighbour's cat bowl) so I assume it will be chicken-proof?

We only have neighbours to one side who have a 1m tall fence - if they find their way in there then they don't have a problem with it - will they be able to fly over a 1m fence if wing-clipped?

My question though was, given the chance of either staying in a run attached to the coop or having the door open to the garden, will chooks roam or will they stay in the vicinity of the run/coop?

Cheers :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 15:09 »
They will roam.  I have found mine 300m from there coop and run, when let out. :ohmy:
It all depends on the chicken as they have different personalities and some breeds are more docile than others.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 15:20 »
Blimey :D That's good to know. If I know I can build a static run and coop then I can make it larger anyway as I know I won't be lugging it around, plus I'll feel safer as I can dig the mesh into the ground as an anti-fox thing if/when they do spend time in there.

Thanks for that - really appreciated :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 15:24 »
Sorry forgot to mention you can train your chickens to come to your calling. Yes train them.  I shout chuck chuck  and they come running.  Slightly bribed with food but it does work.

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 17:05 »
Hi my chickens have a static run attached to an old converted shed I keep them in the run for about 2hours in the morning so they will eat their pellets then they free range for the rest of the day they only go back in their run to dust bathe as it is under cover. I have had to fence off part of my lawn as it has taken quite a battering and I want them to have some grass in the summer. I have filled the run with leaves to keep them occupied they love it.
I am extending my boarders to give them more places to scratch and hopefully my lawn will recover.
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

xx
Hygiene and a static run

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 21:03
by batty810T
xx
New Chicken Coop- moveable

Started by liddyknee on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 11:50
by Leapyear

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 28 queries.